Festivus Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea......a saison or Belgian wit base beer would be great! Wit already has the coriander seed and dried orange peel. Some cinnamon, cardamom and even grains of paradise would go well

Good idea......a saison or Belgian wit base beer would be great! Wit already has the coriander seed and dried orange peel. Some cinnamon, cardamom and even grains of paradise would go well
Sounds awesome. I've just put down a Hefeweizen so I'll follow it up with the Wit on Saison. Cheers

So do you mean a Belgian Ale fermented with Saison?

To me Belgian yeast has those flavours that taste a bit like Christmas.

My vote is for a blend, starting with a Trappist/Abbey and finishing with a Saison.

Last edited:
To me Belgian yeast has those flavours that taste a bit like Christmas.

My vote is for a blend, starting with a Trappist/Abbey and finishing with a Saison.
Ok sounds great. Best I can do is extract (not a AG Brewer yet). So is that achievable?

Ok sounds great. Best I can do is extract (not a AG Brewer yet). So is that achievable?
For sure, it doesn't matter how you make your wort

I think the coriander and orange zest would lend itself to any and all of the above.

To get that Belgian flavour I'd look for a quality liquid yeast and put a fair amount of effort into that if poss.

For sure, it doesn't matter how you make your wort

I think the coriander and orange zest would lend itself to any and all of the above. But to get that Belgian flavour I'd look for a quality liquid yeast and put a fair amount of effort into that.
Ok thanks mate. Wilco.

250g Caramalt Grain Pack
2.5kg Light Liquid Malt Extract
1kg Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
30g Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) – 60min boil
15g Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) – 30min boil
15g Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) – 15min boil
18g Orange Peel, – 5min boil
10g Coriander Seed – 5min Boil
2x Cinnamon sticks - 5min Boil
(Maybe add in cloves?)
WY3724 Belgian Saison or Belle Saison Yeast

Looks good mate. I’d add some sugar to the mix to get it to dry out. Maybe bail on the 30 min hop addition as you’d be probably looking for your spices to play a prominent role, so less bitterness might be the play.

Saaz will give you some spice. So too will other hops like goldings (EKG, styrian, whitbread), but I suggest you seek spice from your spices and keep hops in the background.

Saaz will give you some spice. So too will other hops like goldings (EKG, styrian, whitbread), but I suggest you seek spice from your spices and keep hops in the background.
Ok thanks for that.

To get that Belgian flavour I'd look for a quality liquid yeast and put a fair amount of effort into that if poss.

I would respectfully disagree - Mangrove Jacks have dried Belgian yeasts that are actually very good. I've used their Belgian Wit and their Belgian Abbey, both giving the exact yeast character to the beer that I was expecting. I'm pretty sure that they also have a Belgian tripel yeast, which would probably be great as well, based on all of the experiences that I've had with their range of yeasts.
Their French saison yeast is a winner also - push it up to between 25 and 30o then let it go silly

I would respectfully disagree - Mangrove Jacks have dried Belgian yeasts that are actually very good. I've used their Belgian Wit and their Belgian Abbey, both giving the exact yeast character to the beer that I was expecting. I'm pretty sure that they also have a Belgian tripel yeast, which would probably be great as well, based on all of the experiences that I've had with their range of yeasts.
Their French saison yeast is a winner also - push it up to between 25 and 30o then let it go silly

...and that's it...all personal experience, but you're not disagreeing (are you?) more-so saying you don't have to go Liquid Yeast, which is fair enough. In my personal experience I would take my advice.....

Wyeast 3711 is a really good saison yeast; probably my fav. Having said that, I recently won the Belgian category of a brew comp with a Saison that I used belle saison for and I’m drinking a Saison tonight that I brewed with the mangrove jack saison yeast at 32C and it’s delicious. Maybe brew 2 batches and play around with some different yeasts!!!

...and that's it...all personal experience, but you're not disagreeing (are you?) more-so saying you don't have to go Liquid Yeast, which is fair enough.

Exactly, not disagreeing, merely saying that it is no longer true that you have to use a liquid yeast to get a good saison or Belgian beer. There are great dry options available.

In my personal experience I would take my advice.....
Have you actually tried any of those dried yeasts besides Belle Saison? Because if not, then your advice is only based on one side of the spectrum (not saying that it won't give a great result, just that OP might be able to make a great beer with a more easily available yeast)

Exactly, not disagreeing, merely saying that it is no longer true that you have to use a liquid yeast to get a good saison or Belgian beer. There are great dry options available.

Have you actually tried any of those dried yeasts besides Belle Saison? Because if not, then your advice is only based on one side of the spectrum (not saying that it won't give a great result, just that OP might be able to make a great beer with a more easily available yeast)

oh man, I was making the point that we all give opinions based on either experience, hearsay or both...in my experience, limited as it is to one Dry yeast that I used in the early stages I would continue to explore liquid yeast strains, haven't said dry is bad or anything like that - and I'm not talking about you or anyone else or what I think is right or wrong, maybe what I said has been lost in translation - Based on my experience I would take my advice - was meant to mean, that is where I am at, that is what I know right now and so I will continue on that path

My advice isn't based on one side of the spectrum as I have used both dry and liquid

feck this is a bit too hard for a MOnday

Last edited:
oh man, I was making the point that we all give opinions based on either experience, hearsay or both...in my experience, limited as it is to one Dry yeast that I used in the early stages I would continue to explore liquid yeast strains, haven't said dry is bad or anything like that - and I'm not talking about you or anyone else or what I think is right or wrong, maybe what I said has been lost in translation - Based on my experience I would take my advice - was meant to mean, that is where I am at, that is what I know right now and so I will continue on that path

My advice isn't based on one side of the spectrum as I have used both dry and liquid

feck this is a bit too hard for a MOnday

Haha sorry, reading back through my reply, it does come off as a bit stand-offish. I absolutely get what you're saying, I wasn't meaning to having a crack or anything, just a poorly worded way of trying to say that maybe you should give the newer dried strains a try in the future, as you'd be surprised by the results!
I have actually been meaning to try out a few more of the liquid strains myself.

Latest posts

Back