Festivus Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hambone

Reaction score
Thinking of starting with a Golden Ale kit and maybe adding in some spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg for a Christmasy feel.

Any thoughts?
Cheers Hamo

i say go for it, i had a beer at the harbury beer festival in the UK that had vanilla and rhubarb in it, it actually want to bad, hardly a session beer and pretty potent but none the less tasty.

the amount you put in is likely where you need to pay some attention, dont want it to be overwhelming, just a hint of flavour i would say.

good luck.

You'll find that those flavours would be easier to incorporate in to a darker style of beer, but it would be worth a try in a lighter style, to fit with xmas during the Aussie summer. I think that you'd have to be very restrained in your use of the spices though, without a heavy malt backbone to the beer like you would get with a stout/xmas ale

That's my dilemma. They can be strong flavours but I was trying to get some Christmas flavour in there somehow.

Not sure about you, but Australian Christmas to me is about cold, crisp beer and cooking a BBQ in the searing heat whilst bushfire embers drop around you.

Not sure about you, but Australian Christmas to me is about cold, crisp beer and cooking a BBQ in the searing heat whilst bushfire embers drop around you.
Yeah totally agree but I'm just trying to think of something out of the box.

Yeah totally agree but I'm just trying to think of something out of the box.
Completely understand. You brew to your tastes and to what type of beer you want - not for anybody else. Sorry if I came across as a knob, not intentional.

Maybe you could take the golden ale kit add some simple sugar and spices and ferment hot with saison yeast.

Spices in saison play pretty well with the yeast, however I’d be going light on with the spice additions. Belle saison is a good strain and you can push it pretty high (28C) and it’ll finish out nice and dry.

Ive always got a keg of saison on during summer!

Maybe you could take the golden ale kit add some simple sugar and spices and ferment hot with saison yeast.

Spices in saison play pretty well with the yeast, however I’d be going light on with the spice additions. Belle saison is a good strain and you can push it pretty high (28C) and it’ll finish out nice and dry.

Ive always got a keg of saison on during summer!
Yeah that sounds good. I've never used Saison, I'll check it out.
Cheers

All preferences but spices to me go better in a dark beer but as Shacked said Saison would a light style to do this with.

In a light beer, I have used orange peel with great success and it was in a Saison.

Ok thanks mate. I'm reckon I'm starting to put a plan together.
Cheers

If you can find it, grab a bottle of Saison DuPont and see if you like it. Otherwise Nomad do a saison with coffee beans and botanicals - I think it's called something like long drive saison

Latest posts

Back