Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgin_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all, just put down my first brew in my xmas present (fermzilla). What is the best way to get an original gravity ?????

Accuracy is to do with the instrument. But is not ultimately important what you’re looking for is an indication that fermentation is slowing or stopped. After 36 hrs it’s unlikely unless you’re using a sounding valve

What i'm getting at is, without an original gravity reading, when fermentation has ceased & ready to keg, is there another way of working out the alcohol content ?

You can probably work out your og from the recipe you used. Then take a final reading to tell you the abv. What was your recipe?

You can probably work out your og from the recipe you used. Then take a final reading to tell you the abv. What was your recipe?
Will try & upload a pic of the recipe i put on my brew tracker app.
Screenshot_20200103-180810_BrewTracker.jpeg

If after 36 hours it is kind of pointless taking a sample to find opening gravity. At that stage I have a nice healthy krausen and the brew has probably dropped 10 points. You need to take a sample before or just after you pitch your yeast. The best will be an estimate from the recipe, like Ferment 8 said.
I draw a sample by disconnecting the blow off letting the fermentor build up some pressure, and plug in a picnic tap.

Back