Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel guilty saying this, but the Fermzilla was a bit of an impulse buy for me. Had decided to go with the Guten fermenter, but it was out of stock. Happened to be looking at this forum when news broke, I managed to get one first release. Am quite happy with it so far! (And before anyone spruiks the benefits of stainless over plastic, I'll add it probably won't preclude me from getting a stainless conical down the track.)

I'm six days into my first fermentation, yeast has begun to flocculate and my collection jar is pretty full. Will remove tonight, but am wary about re-attaching.

If I do reattach, I'll basically do using the same principles as a counter-pressure bottle filler. It'd involve:
  • attaching a carb cap to the jar, attach jar to bottom of unit, purge with CO2, then under a small amt of pressure feeding the beer out through the floating dip tube into the jar via the carb cap
  • gently loosen jar from the fermenter to allow CO2 to gradually escape out the lid
  • when full, tighten the jar and open butterfly valve.
But I'm conscious that'll let in a small amt of O2.

Pretty sure the benefits of collecting additional trub won't be greater than the risks of additional O2, but interested in the views of others...
I’ve got a couple of Guten fermenters one done a few brews the other brand new in the box (just opened it to make sure it was all there)
$200 & $220. Happy to post at your expense
I stopped using them as I like to do higher volumes

Looks like the critical minds had a critical fail rofl. Just more sales bs, good idea though, I ordered mine last week. The only problem with it is you're locked into push in's, either JG or duo's, I'm not a fan and prefer barbs but such is life, it'll be worth it to get rid of the coils in the fridge.
Well spotted btw.
Should stretch onto a 4mm barb, 5mm line has no problems fitting onto a 6mm barb.
I use the steam wand on the coffee maker to heat about a barb length of the line and to warm up the barb at the same time. Warming the barb stops the line chilling when it comes into contact and grabbing.
Mark

I’ve got a couple of Guten fermenters one done a few brews the other brand new in the box (just opened it to make sure it was all there)
$200 & $220. Happy to post at your expense
I stopped using them as I like to do higher volumes
Thanks for the offer mate, but I’ve moved on already.
I got a good couple of years out of my fermzilla and then sold second hand, managed to get an SS Brewtech Chronical at a bargain.

The fermzilla was a good bit of kit, but the allure of stainless was too strong…

The stainless steel Apollo looks like a formidable bit of kit, well worth considering for those in the market for stainless fermenters. I am more that happy with the PET Apollo with the thicker wall.

The stainless steel Apollo looks like a formidable bit of kit, well worth considering for those in the market for stainless fermenters. I am more that happy with the PET Apollo with the thicker wall.

Any details on the stainless? I have a couple of cheeky peak Unis on the way (30 and 50L) also have a 58L kegmenter (with cooling coil) looking at other vessels

And then probably a brewtools F80 or the jacketed cheeky 105L uni

Need to tweak my DIY glycol setup some more however

Any details on the stainless? I have a couple of cheeky peak Unis on the way (30 and 50L) also have a 58L kegmenter (with cooling coil) looking at other vessels

And then probably a brewtools F80 or the jacketed cheeky 105L uni

Need to tweak my DIY glycol setup some more however
Coming out early next year, looks pretty good, tri clover fittings and extendable legs.

Coming out early next year, looks pretty good, tri clover fittings and extendable legs.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Hi
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I need some advice. I've just put a thermowell into the fermzilla and I believe it's been setup correctly. I've pressure tested it and I cannot hear any gas leaking, and it's also passed the soapy water test. Gas is slowly leaking somewhere but how the hell do I solve the issue when I can't hear or see where?

Hi
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I need some advice. I've just put a thermowell into the fermzilla and I believe it's been setup correctly. I've pressure tester it and I cannot hear and gas leaking and it's also passed the soapy water test. Gas is slowly leaking somewhere but how the hell do I solve the issue when I can't hear or see where?
If you can see it with the soapy water, you can try pressurising and putting upside down in the bath or a bucket of water.

How slow is the leak? A very slow leak in a fermenter isn't as big of a deal as in a keg. You're not going to lose a bottle of gas.

If you can see it with the soapy water, you can try pressurising and putting upside down in the bath or a bucket of water.

How slow is the leak? A very slow leak in a fermenter isn't as big of a deal as in a keg. You're not going to lose a bottle of gas.
No indications besides the spunding valve dropping. Bloody annoying. I have the fermzilla filled with water

Take the spunding valve off overnight and put back on in the morning. If pressure hasn't changed then the problem is the spunding valve or post O ring. If it's dropped you know it's elsewhere.

If it's full to the brim with water then 2psi per hour is still a slow leak

Take the spunding valve off overnight and put back on in the morning. If pressure hasn't changed then the problem is the spunding valve or post O ring. If it's dropped you know it's elsewhere.

If it's full to the brim with water then 2psi per hour is still a slow leak
I actually did that last night and it's not the spunding valve so what do I do?

I actually did that last night and it's not the spunding valve so what do I do?

Well if you can't find any leaks with soap or immersion tests, I'd just re-lube all the seals and try again.

But as I said, if you've filled it right to the top then it still could be a tiny leak not even worth worrying about.

Testing with water in the vessel is a bit difficult as you will also get some gas dissolve into the liquid. As you would know if you pressurise water with CO2 the CO2 will dissolve into the water and you will get a pressure drop as the liquid becomes more carbonated.

If you immerse the FermZilla under water and cannot see bubbles then this is the best test.

Testing with water in the vessel is a bit difficult as you will also get some gas dissolve into the liquid. As you would know if you pressurise water with CO2 the CO2 will dissolve into the water and you will get a pressure drop as the liquid becomes more carbonated.

If you immerse the FermZilla under water and cannot see bubbles then this is the best test.
So gas it up empty? If so what PSI? Will this drain my gas bottle really quickly?

Latest posts

Back