Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that the core is where the heat would be, towards the outer proximity it would be losing heat. I suppose you could take both for an average temperature.

So what are you growing?
When the universities are allowed to reopen in August we are sending a 60 litre to Monash Brewlab and this is one of the things we will ask them to do some proper testing on.

Not trying to correct you, I know my ambient temperature in my fermenting room and I know the temperature on the external walls of the vessel. Not guessing at the internal exothermic temperature just going by what I have read on similar threads. Just wondering if the mass would make that much difference
Interesting. Fermenting room. Does this mean you have a relatively large temp controlled space rather than individual temperature controlled fridges for each fermenter?

Interesting. Fermenting room. Does this mean you have a relatively large temp controlled space rather than individual temperature controlled fridges for each fermenter?
Yes purpose built fermenting room, works brilliant in summer, winter has been a drag but now have a temperature control which I can run the heat cycle on without it getting to hot.
002.JPG

Seems every time one opens facebook there is a destroyed FermZilla, why don't they just call them in and go back to the drawing board.
I think the only error the user makes is using the FermZilla as a pressure fermenter.
1590383120336.png

1590383170663.png

1590383273657.png

Least we know who is sending these pictures to CEO kegking :p

In the first picture, I'm not sure what has even occured apart from being too carbonated.

I have a couple of questions, i need to upgrade my fermenter and retire my Coopers DIY barrel and looking at upgrading to the Fermzilla (or KK's Fermenter King) What i want to know are there any hidden costs to this kit and is it ready out of the box without additional necessary purchases?

Do i need to build a new insulated brew box (my current one is a tad bit too small) or is the jacket enough to keep it warm if i hook up a light under it.

I have a couple of questions, i need to upgrade my fermenter and retire my Coopers DIY barrel and looking at upgrading to the Fermzilla (or KK's Fermenter King) What i want to know are there any hidden costs to this kit and is it ready out of the box without additional necessary purchases?

Do i need to build a new insulated brew box (my current one is a tad bit too small) or is the jacket enough to keep it warm if i hook up a light under it.
For the 35 litre Snub Nose unit the only extra items are a spunding valve (or a bubbler if you still ferment without pressure) and maybe the jacket. Otherwise its complete and ready to let you pressure ferment a better beer. Not bad for $79.95 and we have never had one explode.

Never understood the logic of pressure fermenting. Got what they deserved.
2.2 bar? That's about the pressure you run in your car tyres, and they're built with steel etc belts to contain the pressure.
What makes people think an oversized softdrink bottle will hold the same pressure?

Manufacturing or quality issues aside, this is an incredibly ill-informed post.

Benefits of fermenters that can be pressurised: reduced ester production combined with higher ferment temps, can turn beers around faster, spunding for natural carbonation, pressure transfers into kegs, essentially zero O2 ingress.

Well designed commercial PET bottles have insane burst ratings (100PSI +).

Benefits of fermenters that can be pressurised: reduced ester production combined with higher ferment temps, can turn beers around faster, spunding for natural carbonation, pressure transfers into kegs, essentially zero O2 ingress.

Fully agree with you. We test our 35 and 60 litre tanks to 5 bar and that is 72 psi. When we do destructive testing they mostly go to 7-9 bar before they blow. Pressure fermenting definitely can make a better beer and quicker.

That's because PET bottles like Coke, Pepsi etc... are blow moulded where those in the pics above have been plastic welded hence the relatively low pressure range because the seam is the most likely point of failure.

Its likely that both the KL and KK range of PET fermenters are made at the same factory with the same materials so both will fail in similar ways.

2.2 bar? That's about the pressure you run in your car tyres, and they're built with steel etc belts to contain the pressure.
What makes people think an oversized softdrink bottle will hold the same pressure?
They are OK if you are making American IPA where they prefer a lack of esters and a more hop forward beer. They also do a poor imitation of a lager.

Agree with some of that, the reduced ester, carbonating the beer using its own CO2, there will always be some oxygen in a purged vessel, it can never be completely eliminated. Faster ferment whether under pressure or not the higher temperature will still ferment at the same rate. Could be argued that because the fermenting wort is under pressure that the distressed yeast doesn't perform as well.
Definitely the manufacturing process does need some scrutiny, it's an accident waiting to happen. May not be to the brewer but lots of brewers have small children around.

That's because PET bottles like Coke, Pepsi etc... are blow moulded where those in the pics above have been plastic welded hence the relatively low pressure range because the seam is the most likely point of failure.

Its likely that both the KL and KK range of PET fermenters are made at the same factory with the same materials so both will fail in similar ways.
The KL range are all manufactured in China, why aren't they being pressure tested? Because they are made on the cheap thats why. There is no plastic welding they are blow moulded.

The KL range are all manufactured in China, why aren't they being pressure tested? Because they are made on the cheap thats why. There is no plastic welding they are blow moulded.

Then why is KK's version being sold for $10 cheaper? Because its being made to the same price as KL's... Cheap.

Lets just cut out the horse crap, i understand KK signs your paychecks but both KL and KK's products are exactly the same bar a few small differences, they are made with the same materials in the same way, probably find that they are made in the same factory, the difference is the stickers and box they are packed in.

This is definitely a very ill informed post as the KK range is made on an advanced CYPET blow moulding facility right here in Melbourne and there is no welding at all. That is the reason why we can achieve the very high burst pressures and the superb clarity which eludes our competitors. Our tanks are an Australian product and each tank is individually tested and then date stamped. We do not produce tanks in China.

Then why is KK's version being sold for $10 cheaper? Because its being made to the same price as KL's... Cheap.

Lets just cut out the horse crap, i understand KK signs your paychecks but both KL and KK's products are exactly the same bar a few small differences, they are made with the same materials in the same way, probably find that they are made in the same factory, the difference is the stickers and box they are packed in.
You are a very ill informed poster and I would like to invite you to visit our factory so that you can see for yourself that there is nothing the same about the KL units and ours. They are completely different products and have nothing in common. We can keep the price down because we don't need to ship them in from China.

Last edited:

No body signs my pay checks bar me. Have a look on KK's youtube channel you can see the fermenters being made, and its in Springvale.
No ones stopping you from getting the FermZilla but don't come on here bleating that you got ripped like you did about the Robobrew 3, up the top for thinking and down the bottom for dancing.

Last edited:
aren't they only rated to like 12 or 15 PSI or something? I remember thinking it was low when i hear whatever it was.
i could be well mistaken though, i know nothing about these plastic fermenters (kegmenter bros where u at)

Well???!!. you ignited the BS KK KL thing again, just look at the posts below, not your fault. I use 2 FZ 55L + 1 FZ 27L + fermentausirs. The FZ units work very well so long as you are not completely stupid like others who have posted pictures of exploding collection jars because they closed the butterfly vave and left them attached (fermentation not complete, pressure build up, explosion iminet) . Idiots. A Fermzilla would be one of the better choices to replace a Coopers barrel but READ the instructions.

Latest posts

Back