Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still got the issue of narrow opening back into the fermenter, no option to purge it and if they all get stuck down there, you can't do anything about it really.

like I said, 'out of the box' the FermZilla is more suited for dry hopping via the bottom
If you have a look at the hop brink video you will see that they can be purged with gas

If you have a look at the hop brink video you will see that they can be purged with gas
I guess you mean this one:

Personally I wouldn't be super comfortable putting any pressure in a mason jar for a couple of hours, although I expect the lid would fail before the glass. Irrespective of this it is not (like TheBeerBaron said) better suited 'out of the box'. Also I am sure that the people that purge seven (or twenty) times would likely complain that the method did not get rid of all the oxygen and did result in oxygen contact.

I think it would be great for the next person that wants to compare the FZ to another product could create a comparison thread for that, then the half a dozen people interested could keep track of that, and we can get back to talking about using, cleaning, and maintaining our fermzillas without having to endlessly and unhelpfully have them compared with competing products.

I think it would be great for the next person that wants to compare the FZ to another product could create a comparison thread for that, then the half a dozen people interested could keep track of that, and we can get back to talking about using, cleaning, and maintaining our fermzillas without having to endlessly and unhelpfully have them compared with competing products.
Can we get an amen?!

I guess you mean this one:

Personally I wouldn't be super comfortable putting any pressure in a mason jar for a couple of hours, although I expect the lid would fail before the glass. Irrespective of this it is not (like TheBeerBaron said) better suited 'out of the box'. Also I am sure that the people that purge seven (or twenty) times would likely complain that the method did not get rid of all the oxygen and did result in oxygen contact.

Probably a lot safer using the Mason jar than the collection bottle.
I don't know if the FermZilla V2 is any better, they may have ironed out the stress fractures with the new shape. Now coming with handle and lube out of the box seems better. Just have to wait and see. As mentioned before it's probably better to wait for a V3 version (malt mill thread)
Quote: Fools rush in. Elvis Presley.

Has anyone done a thermo well in a snubnose or similar. I don't think sticking the probe to the side is a great method.

Has anyone done a thermo well in a snubnose or similar. I don't think sticking the probe to the side is a great method.
Very easy to make a thermowell, a male threaded barb fitted to top, silicone tube, blocked at end cable tie or whatever drop in the Inkbird thermocouple or what you are using, job done. Will be an accurate reading but only about 1-2 C difference to the outside. On the plus side.

Wrong thread. Snubnose is a KK variant of the Fermentasauris. But for what it's worth, I have a Fermzilla with a themowell and have also used a probe the out side (insulated). Not much difference in readings. Although the thermowell may give a more accurate core reading it can also lead to temperature overshoot and/or undershoot. More noticeable on the 55L FZ than th 27L. Possibly due to thermal lag.

Wrong thread. Snubnose is a KK variant of the Fermentasauris. But for what it's worth, I have a Fermzilla with a themowell and have also used a probe the out side (insulated). Not much difference in readings. Although the thermowell may give a more accurate core reading it can also lead to temperature overshoot and/or undershoot. More noticeable on the 55L FZ than th 27L. Possibly due to thermal lag.
He did say Snubnose or similar. Why the difference Vic with the 55 and 27 litre Fermzilla? The core of both would be the same wouldn't they?

Wrong thread. Snubnose is a KK variant of the Fermentasauris. But for what it's worth, I have a Fermzilla with a themowell and have also used a probe the out side (insulated). Not much difference in readings. Although the thermowell may give a more accurate core reading it can also lead to temperature overshoot and/or undershoot. More noticeable on the 55L FZ than the 27L FZ
He did say Snubnose or similar. Why the difference Vic with the 55 and 27 litre Fermzilla? The core of both would be the same wouldn't they?
I would think so. But this does not happen in real life. During fermentation, when there is a lot of movement in the liquid, little if no over/under shoot is noticed. After fermentation, during rest or lager ramp, even with a 30min lag between heat and cool, a 1 to 2.5C difference is observed. Probably not significant. The only reason I can think of is that with a still liquid being heated or cooled from the outside but the temperature is taken in the core there will be a lag. This does not happen with the probe on the outside. Happy to be corrected.

Probably a lot safer using the Mason jar than the collection bottle.
I don't know if the FermZilla V2 is any better, they may have ironed out the stress fractures with the new shape. Now coming with handle and lube out of the box seems better. Just have to wait and see. As mentioned before it's probably better to wait for a V3 version (malt mill thread)
Quote: Fools rush in. Elvis Presley.
Yeah, definitely safer to use glass than plastic for a pressure collection container with no pressure relief valve /s

Yeah, definitely safer to use glass than plastic for a pressure collection container with no pressure relief valve /s
Most certainly the glass from a Mason jar or the O ring would eliminate any shattering of the glass, unlike the collection bottle which will explode as can be attested by the poor soul who got a shard of plastic in his neck could attest.

Wrong thread. Snubnose is a KK variant of the Fermentasauris. But for what it's worth, I have a Fermzilla with a themowell and have also used a probe the out side (insulated). Not much difference in readings. Although the thermowell may give a more accurate core reading it can also lead to temperature overshoot and/or undershoot. More noticeable on the 55L FZ than the 27L FZ

I would think so. But this does not happen in real life. During fermentation, when there is a lot of movement in the liquid, little if no over/under shoot is noticed. After fermentation, during rest or lager ramp, even with a 30min lag between heat and cool, a 1 to 2.5C difference is observed. Probably not significant. The only reason I can think of is that with a still liquid being heated or cooled from the outside but the temperature is taken in the core there will be a lag. This does not happen with the probe on the outside. Happy to be corrected.
Not trying to correct you, I know my ambient temperature in my fermenting room and I know the temperature on the external walls of the vessel. Not guessing at the internal exothermic temperature just going by what I have read on similar threads. Just wondering if the mass would make that much difference

Just out of curiosity has anyone tried making a flat seal for the top of the fz?? I know there isn’t one around but it make more sense to me with fixing leaking issues and stop it from getting stuck/jammed.

Just out of curiosity has anyone tried making a flat seal for the top of the fz?? I know there isn’t one around but it make more sense to me with fixing leaking issues and stop it from getting stuck/jammed.
Have a look at the new one I have a feeling it has a better seal.

The gen 3 snubnose lid comes with standard attachment in the centre to fit our thermowell. I have a couple now but will get them on the website soon.

I have heard that the probe on the side is better as it captures the temperature of a higher volume of wort.

I have heard that the probe on the side is better as it captures the temperature of a higher volume of wort.
I would think that the core is where the heat would be, towards the outer proximity it would be losing heat. I suppose you could take both for an average temperature.
Mine is now a terrarium, I just have a feeling Dr Hans said something about the seal in his review of the FermZilla V2
So what are you growing?

Back