Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that you are having the same problems as me.
I posted a few days ago asking for suggestions as how to overcome this.
I wasted a full gas bottle of gas ($31.50) to try to find where the leak was.
Like you...from the lid !
Theoretically, the the lid should not really need to be too tight, it's function is to hold the inner lid which is sealed with "O" ring around it's diameter, most hydraulic seals are designes in the same way, without problems.
The issue at stake here is how to know when the outer lid is in contact with the inner sealing lid !
Without trying to reinvent the wheel and also trying simple solutions, I have today bought an "O" ring from a shop dealing in hydraulic parts and sevices. The "O" ring is approximately 3.5 mm in thickness and large in enough in diameter to go between the outer lid and on top of the inner lid. My intention is to have the pressure of the outer lid onto the inner sealing lid without the need to use the expanding tool to tighten and untighten it.
I have it on test as I write.
Should this meet the criteria which I am looking for I will post again with pictures.
I have tested as described above for 3 days now.
Over this period I still had a small loss in pressure even with the "O" ring in situ.
I am pursuing a further idea, I have now used the spare "O" ring which is the one for sealing the inner cap by placing it around the rim of the inner cap thus creating a further seal.
Early days yet but looks promising.
It is difficult to show meaningful pictures but I am posting as promised.
20191012_094600.jpg

Picture of "O" ring beside inner cap

Attachments

• 20191012_094532.jpg
    20191012_094532.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 99
Over this period I still had a small loss in pressure even with the "O" ring in situ.
I am pursuing a further idea, I have now used the spare "O" ring which is the one for sealing the inner cap by placing it around the rim of the inner cap thus creating a further seal.
It is difficult to show meaningful pictures but I am posting as promised.View attachment 116726
I hope this works out for you. Looking at that lid, I think it would have been better to have the pressure relief valve to the side and a thermowell for the centre. Just casting my critical eye over the lid.

I hope this works out for you. Looking at that lid, I think it would have been better to have the pressure relief valve to the side and a thermowell for the centre. Just casting my critical eye over the lid.

Thank you for your reply.
The lid comes as standard with the pressure relief valve as pictured I have not installed it there.

Thank you for your reply.
The lid comes as standard with the pressure relief valve as pictured I have not installed it there.
Yes I know that, but just suggesting for KL's benefit that it would have been better positioned to the side and for a thermowell to be positioned in the centre where the exothermal heat is higher.

I am ending my post on this matter now.
I have found a solution to the problem albeit introducing components additional to the design.
Anything that I have posted isn't a poor reflection on Kegland, on the contrary, I am pleased with the Fermzilla and feel sure that Kegland will improve what is already an excellent product very well priced, if they take onboard experiences gained by end users. It has been my experience over many years that in-house testing can only achieve so much. Everyday use of most products will usually expose ways to improve and simplify them.
Hopefully Kegland will view my experience and consider what I have done without prejudice.

I second that! Nothing better than constructive criticism from the end-user.

You can only do so much testing!

I'm sure they will keep an eye out for good ideas, in the end that will help to sell more product an everyone is happy.

Good on you. [emoji482]
Norbert
I am ending my post on this matter now.
I have found a solution to the problem albeit introducing components additional to the design.
Anything that I have posted isn't a poor reflection on Kegland, on the contrary, I am pleased with the Fermzilla and feel sure that Kegland will improve what is already an excellent product very well priced, if they take onboard experiences gained by end users. It has been my experience over many years that in-house testing can only achieve so much. Everyday use of most products will usually expose ways to improve and simplify them.
Hopefully Kegland will view my experience and consider what I have done without prejudice.

Judging by the gap between the collection jar and the assembly looks like he had this on way too tight, should be a good 1/2cm between them..
It looks like where the crack on the right side is, it's been shifted to one side fairly far
unless there's a lot of structural stress in the unit, I'd think that's been belted with something

Hi there,
I just bottled my first brew and therefore had a chance to have a close look at the problem with the leaking lid.
I attached a pdf, which shows the problem and how to fix it (at least that's what I think).
I did this on mine and submerged it in the pool, no more leak or so it seams.
Since I don't have gas to check it, that will have to do for now.
I put down a new brew on, will let you know if it now holds the pressure after the fermentation finished.

There seems to be another problem I came across when I was cleaning the pressure kit.
The attachment ring on the steel float came off, not very well done I think.
Will try to get them to send me a replacement. See attached pic. Does anyone else have this problem?
I hope this helps.
Cheers
Norbert

Attachments

• FermZilla Leaking lid.pdf
    278.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Hi there,
I just bottled my first brew and therefore had a chance to have a close look at the problem with the leaking lid.
I attached a pdf, which shows the problem and how to fix it (at least that's what I think).
I did this on mine and submerged it in the pool, no more leak or so it seams.
Since I don't have gas to check it, that will have to do for now.
I put down a new brew on, will let you know if it now holds the pressure after the fermentation finished.

There seems to be another problem I came across when I was cleaning the pressure kit.
The attachment ring on the steel float came off, not very well done I think.
Will try to get them to send me a replacement. See attached pic. Does anyone else have this problem?
I hope this helps.
Cheers
Norbert
I think Norbert the whole idea of when you buy something is that it should work out of the box, not filing and using fine sand paper to fix a problem. As you have not tried a pressure ferment since your attempt to rectify the problem, and if it doesn't still come up to expectations you have now given the vendor a loop hole to refuse a refund if you still encounter problems.

Just trying to help an stay positive.
Cheers [emoji482]
I think Norbert the whole idea of when you buy something is that it should work out of the box, not filing and using fine sand paper to fix a problem. As you have not tried a pressure ferment since your attempt to rectify the problem, and if it doesn't still come up to expectations you have now given the vendor a loop hole to refuse a refund if you still encounter problems.

I checked my carbonation caps for seal, I noticed little pieces of rubber sitting on the seal.

As it turns out, the seal sits on the very outside edge of the opening, if you tighten the caps beyond hand tight the seal slips inside the opening and looses seal.

See photos below.

Maybe the plastic varieties of the carbonation caps are the better choice, I believe they don't require a seal.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    429.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    206.9 KB · Views: 137
I checked my carbonation caps for seal, I noticed little pieces of rubber sitting on the seal.

As it turns out, the seal sits on the very outside edge of the opening, if you tighten the caps beyond hand tight the seal slips inside the opening and looses seal.

See photos below.

Maybe the plastic varieties of the carbonation caps are the better choice, I believe they don't require a seal.

Yep that's what happens if you tighten them too much and you're spot on with the plastic carb caps, they seal well and i haven't had any issues yet

See photos below.

I couldn't get one of my carb caps to seal.
Turns out it's the carb cap itself. The one in stainless that is supposed to fit gas and liquid posts. Go figure
Sorry you are having so many problems with your Fermzilla Norbert.
Quality control in China evidently is quite up to the task at hand

I hope this isn't going to be a common occurrence.
View attachment 116725
If that was being unscrewed using the strap wrench it looks like the plastic jaw part has caved it in, and he was going anti clockwise looking at the picture on the r/hand side.
Edit that, he could have been using it on the other side and going clockwise, just have to take his word for it.

It is difficult to show meaningful pictures but I am posting as promised.View attachment 116726
I just noticed in your photo, you moved your connections in the lid. Is that better? Where did you get the ss-steal connections? IIt looks like a good idea after having all the trouble I'm having.
Cheers
Norbert

Latest posts

Back