Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys.

Looking forward to breaking in my Fermzilla sometime soon but just wondering if anybody is doing pressure fermentation? And when do you start it?

My idea was to set the fermenter in the fermentation fridge, have the carbonation caps on both posts and a spunding valve on one, set it at like 10psi from the get go? Then have a picnic tap coming out from the other one for samples.

Does this sound about right? How is everyone else going about it??

Cheers
This a Schwarzbier I have on the go at the moment:
Fermzilla Schwarze Lilie16/09/19
Time:10:00
Temperature: 12°
Yeast: 2packs(23g),
Fermentis W-34/70
Pressure: 8psi,
OG: 1.052@20°
17/09: no visible action 10:00, good action 19:00, 9psi
18/09/: 6:30 good action, 20psi!!!, turning back to achieve 8-10psi
19/09/: fermenting well, 9psi,
20/09/: good action, 9psi, cleaned 2 kegs, left 5l San in one and used pressure from fermzilla to push into second keg with spunding valve attached, took half a day to get back to 9psi
21/09/: actively fermenting, 10psi, trub dropping out more
22/09/: slow fermenting, dialled temp up to 14°C from 12°, 1.020 gravity
23/09/: fermenting slow, dialled temperature up to 16.5°, 8psi,
24/09/: slow fermenting, dialled temperature up to 18°,
1.016 gravity, 14psi,
26/09/: slow fermenting, 11psi, 18°C, 1.014
28/09/: still fermenting, 11psi, 18°, 1.013

Finished at 1.013 and now cold crashed to 4°C
Cheers Elmar

Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like you guys are just fermenting with the pressure created from the start. I mean if you don't how do you do it? Just unscrew the airlock cap and put on the carb cap when you want to change it over?

I'm sure I'm overthinking this haha

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like you guys are just fermenting with the pressure created from the start. I mean if you don't how do you do it? Just unscrew the airlock cap and put on the carb cap when you want to change it over?

Cheers
Yes ropes
I started with 8psi of CO2 pumped into Zilla and everything went really well from there. Slight loss of pressure whenever I took a sample, but back to original pressure that evening.
When I cold crashed I put an extra 2psi into Zilla because I wasn't sure what pressure drop I'd get. Proved to be minimal though.
Elmar

Cheers
Maybe also have a look at this video on YouTube

so dry hopping.... i used the collection container to throw about 400g of hops in just before i went away for work. came back and the hopes are just a visible compressed hop cake down in that container, a lot of them still pellatized, im thinking maybe i should have dumped a tub or two or trub and junk out first as that would have been whats held the hops down in there?

for this batch while not ideal ive just had to tip collection container full of hops back in from the top and purge a couple of times. not ideal i know, fermentation has finished and its cold crashing but at least wanted to get something out of 40 bucks of hops :(

Yes ropes
I started with 8psi of CO2 pumped into Zilla and everything went really well from there. Slight loss of pressure whenever I took a sample, but back to original pressure that evening.
When I cold crashed I put an extra 2psi into Zilla because I wasn't sure what pressure drop I'd get. Proved to be minimal though.
Elmar[/QUOT
so dry hopping.... i used the collection container to throw about 400g of hops in just before i went away for work. came back and the hopes are just a visible compressed hop cake down in that container, a lot of them still pellatized, im thinking maybe i should have dumped a tub or two or trub and junk out first as that would have been whats held the hops down in there?

for this batch while not ideal ive just had to tip collection container full of hops back in from the top and purge a couple of times. not ideal i know, fermentation has finished and its cold crashing but at least wanted to get something out of 40 bucks of hops :(
An easy way to dry hop using a Fermzilla and keeping O2 out. If under pressure, release pressure via PRV. Remove gas post, don't worry, air won't enter, liquid will still be giving up CO2. Using a funnel add hops via the opening where the gas post was. Don't worry about releasing pressure, little carbonation will be lost. You can always add some extra CO2 if you wish. If not fermenting under pressure, connect a CO2 line to the liquid post, set regulator to minimum. Turn gas on until bubbles can be seen coming out the dip tube, remove gas post & dry hop. EASY.

So it sounds like you guys are just fermenting with the pressure created from the start. I mean if you don't how do you do it? Just unscrew the airlock cap and put on the carb cap when you want to change it over?
I have carb caps on both posts of my lid, one for gas and the other for liquid (also have a carb cap on one of the posts of the collection container just incase I need to push gas through from the bottom but haven't really needed it. I've never used the airlock cap. I keep a blowtie assembly connected to the gas post to let pressure out when it goes above the pressure settings I mentioned before.

came back and the hopes are just a visible compressed hop cake down in that container, a lot of them still pellatized, im thinking maybe i should have dumped a tub or two or trub and junk out first
I had the same problem recently, always a good idea to dump at least one container of trub. Anyway, I just pulled the whole thing out and inverted it, gave it a bit of a shake until the hops got down into suspension. It all settled out properly and I still didn't have to crack the lid.

Using a funnel add hops via the opening where the gas post was
Not a bad idea, will add this trick to the list! ;)

I don't find dry-hopping via the collection container very easy with anything other than a standard strength beer. With a 1060 IPA I found that even after dumping the trub half the pellets would not rise as more junk had settled on top as soon as I opened the valve. I ended up picking it up and tipping it upside down, bit of a mare all told. Foolishly, knowing this, I thought I'd give it another go with a NEIPA which had had a 175g dry hop at pitch and of course (as you can predict) it was even worse! I found that I needed to clean (water blast and then starsan blast) the underside of the valve as it was so clogged up that I couldn't get it to seal on the collection container, hops got a bit wet from the starsan I suppose and glued themselves to the bottom.

I will probably try Vic's suggestion above hopping via the cap opening, although I would be wary of a volcano there.

I might also just come to terms that I will be turning it upside down at some point, so I might as well continue to hop through the container, then turn it upside down prior to opening the valve.

I don't find dry-hopping via the collection container very easy with anything other than a standard strength beer. With a 1060 IPA I found that even after dumping the trub half the pellets would not rise as more junk had settled on top as soon as I opened the valve. I ended up picking it up and tipping it upside down, bit of a mare all told. Foolishly, knowing this, I thought I'd give it another go with a NEIPA which had had a 175g dry hop at pitch and of course (as you can predict) it was even worse! I found that I needed to clean (water blast and then starsan blast) the underside of the valve as it was so clogged up that I couldn't get it to seal on the collection container, hops got a bit wet from the starsan I suppose and glued themselves to the bottom.

I will probably try Vic's suggestion above hopping via the cap opening, although I would be wary of a volcano there.

I might also just come to terms that I will be turning it upside down at some point, so I might as well continue to hop through the container, then turn it upside down prior to opening the valve.
I have used this technique a number of times on a 55L FZ with pressure ferment and 0 psi. No volcano. If applying CO2 via dip tube make sure flow is very slow as not to blow the hops out.

I've noticed what appears to be micro stress fractures embedded in the neck of the FermZilla vessel just below the thread of the top cap, it appears to be all the way around the neck. Not sure if they're superficial, part of the manufacturing process or if i've caused it due to pressurising the vessel (i've never had it over 20-25 psi). Can others please check their vessels to confirm if they have the same thing occurring?

I can also see some machining/blow molded surface scratches etc in the same area but these are different as they are embedded in the plastic.

Hi Elmar,
Im new to this site and just bought a fermzilla to give it a go to ferment under pressure.
For a start, I found your video very helpful and informative.
I searched around a lot, but I can not find information on bottling from fermzilla.
Just wondering, since the brew is already carbonated, do you still have to prime the bottles?
Maybe just half the normal amount of sugar in the bottles?
Thanks in advance.
Norbert.[emoji482]

Thanks Schikitar, i guess time will tell...
Looks like it’s caused by the manufacturing process at the place where the reheated PET meets the thread so you have a region of stress.

Last edited:
Looks like it’s caused by the manufacturing process at the place where the reheated PET meets the thread so you have a region of stress.
Do yours also have this defect for want of a better word? If so have you heard of it being the catalyst for eventual failure

No our products do not as we use a completely different process which does not reheat the PET and so achieves much greater clarity and tank integrity.

Hey Guys, cheers for the help its been awesome. Tonight I tried to do a pressure test on the Fermzilla... I filled it up almost half way put the two carb caps on and then turned on the gas. I seem to have a massive gas leak coming out from the lid?? Like i cant get it tight enough. Anybody encounter this with their Fermzilla? Cheers

Pic of older Fermentasaurus neck

Attachments

• AB22EFC8-9044-4750-87D2-7171B727DC36.jpeg
    AB22EFC8-9044-4750-87D2-7171B727DC36.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 138
Back