Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use cubes and jerrycans as fermenters all the time, brewed many award winning beers with them and they have 40mm to 60mm openings...
You make a lot of claims about how things are unsuitable etc or your products are "better" but there seems to be little to no actual proven basis for those claims

When we distributed the Fermentasaurus it was a common customer complaint that the opening was not big enough which is why we designed the FermZilla with a much larger opening at the top. Certainly it's possible to ferment with very small openings. Some customers ferment in juice bottles and also get good results. With that said it's not preferable but the vast number of customers that we talk to. Having a fermenter that you can get your arm inside and wipe off the krausen is something that many customers have specially said they want. We sell these Cubes for $9.95 and if they really made such good fermenters I am sure we would see a lot of people choosing this very inexpensive option. I think if we sold this as our recommended fermenter we would have a lot of customer complaints.

Well I personally love the idea of a cheaper, flat bottomed or domed Fermzilla, I'd be keen to use them as kegs or for the ocassional ferment where I'm not fussed about dumping out the bottom valve. The most attractive part is the clear PET material, but I should say it would hold more value to me if it is heat resistant (unlike the Fermzilla)..

I thought you were against expensive fermenting fridges?
Personally, I think using a kegerator to ferment in is just silly.
Me too, the only reason I mentioned Kegerator was to indicate the minimum size needed, doesn't necessarily mean they are cheaper to run either.

First batch is in the fermzilla currently chugging away at 12 psi. Had no dramas with holding pressure which was nice.

I did stupidly assume that the o rings supplied with the unit needed to be installed before use, so I dissembled the whole thing (kinda helpful to know how to do it for future reference I guess).

Kinda tricky opening the collection container without spillage but i guess it’s a matter of getting used to it. Presumably you have to depressurise the whole unit before shutting off the butterfly value and unscrewing the collection container?

Kinda tricky opening the collection container without spillage but i guess it’s a matter of getting used to it. Presumably you have to depressurise the whole unit before shutting off the butterfly value and unscrewing the collection container?

I closed the butterfly valve, and slowly cracked the bottle cap on the collection container to release pressure. Then unscrewed the whole thing. You do get a bit of mess but all in all, quite fuss free.

I'll definitely be using a tray or container under the collection jar next time i take it off.

On the duotight fitting page:

No clamps necessary!
We do recommend cutting your hosing straight, not on an angle, to ensure the line has a complete seal. To remove the fitting simply push in the collet and the hose can be removed. These push in fittings are suitable to be used up to 100 psi.

Greetings, Australia. I've registered her so I could ask @KegLand-com-au this:

I've just taken delivery of FermZilla 27L and I'm looking forward to using on my next brew day.
However, before I can do that, I need to clean it. That's where I run into problems. From the FermZilla manual:

9.Only use chemical cleaners and sanitizers that are approved by Kegland. These include:
a) Super Kill Ethyl Sanitiser Spray (KL05371)
b) StellarSan (mixed to the correct specification) (KL05357)
c) StellarClean (KL05494)

- none of which are available here in Denmark

My question to KegLand is:

Which, if any, of the following products that are available here can I use to clean and sanitize my new FermZilla

Isopropyl Alcohol 70% (spray)
http://datablade.novadan.dk/dokumenter/1083-1-en.pdf
http://datablade.novadan.dk/dokumenter/1083-2-en.pdf

Five Star:

PBW
StarSan
SaniClean
https://www.fivestarchemicals.com/breweries/homebrewing/products/

Chemipro ® OXI
https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-products/cleaning/cleaning-products/d/chemipro-oxi-1-kg-fles

VWP Cleaner/Sterilizer
https://www.vwpcleanersteriliser.co.uk/

Grainfather High Performance Cleaner
https://shop.grainfather.com/high-performance-cleaner-500g.html

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

I have my first beer fermenting in my new fermzilla right now. It’s a pilsner fermented with 34/70. It has fermented 2v now. 1 week in 54F and 1 week in 60F. It has fermenting under pressure from start (~18psi).

How do I get the last yeast down in the bottom?
65C389F8-2E95-467A-A5C4-2D762A9BC6BB.jpeg

G'day Lads & Ladettes,
only been brewing a year odd with 34 brews under the belt
grabbed the long awaited Fermzilla in 27L and finished my 1st brew in it a All In Brew Citra Pale Ale with 100g of Citra hops added on day 4 via the bottom entry, which certainly woke it up when I cracked it, so might need a bit more pressure closer to the main vessel left in the bottom tub after the purge to sedate it a bit.
as noted i did it as a pressurized brew fermentation (also a 1st) at about 10 psi using the Bowtie valve setup followed by a pressurized transfer to direct to keg, what a better way this is, like keg to keg so damn easy

so far so good, absolute no issues with my unit no dents or leaks (or spills) or anything so far

my only question or issue is,
how do we check the Final gravity if the beer is already carbonated, as i am of the understanding that it is only accurate if checking the wort precarbonation to determine final alcohol value ? ?
sorry if i missed this somewhere and its been answered else where

cheers & keep up the great work

Hello!

I have my first beer fermenting in my new fermzilla right now. It’s a pilsner fermented with 34/70. It has fermented 2v now. 1 week in 54F and 1 week in 60F. It has fermenting under pressure from start (~18psi).

How do I get the last yeast down in the bottom?View attachment 116357

Cold crashing will help get the last of the yeast, as will giving it a very gentle circular swirl if all else fails.

Which, if any, of the following products that are available here can I use to clean and sanitize my new FermZilla
You can definitely use Isopropyl spray, StarSan and PBW at normal dosage rates, I'm not familiar with the other items you listed but these ones inparticular will be fine!

I will try that! I leave a report later on the result

also just turn the valve a few times and it should fall through that space.

actually dissapointed it still does that after making the base neck of the FV larger.....

my only question or issue is,
how do we check the Final gravity if the beer is already carbonated, as i am of the understanding that it is only accurate if checking the wort precarbonation to determine final alcohol value ? ?
sorry if i missed this somewhere and its been answered else where

Just use a pluto gun/party tap connected to liquid out post, take a sample and put to one side for an hour, it allows co2 to dissipate and also the temp to rise if you cold crashed, remember most hydrometers are calibrated at 20c.

also just turn the valve a few times and it should fall through that space.

actually dissapointed it still does that after making the base neck of the FV larger.....

The yeast on the sides of the cone above the valve probably won’t fall into the collection container even with cold crash.. I think it’s just a fine layer that gets stuck to the inside of the cone..

Back