Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This all makes sense WEAL, but will take away 1 of the things I was really looking forward to with using this Fermzilla, which is rousing up after my dry hop additions to get full utilisation out of this dry hop process. My plan was to dump the yeast after fermentation is basically done, and then replace the collection bottle with the dry hops which have been purged with co2. After a few days hook up the co2 to the collection bottle via a carbonation cap/post and rouse the hops off the bottom and get them flowing about again.

I guess I could leave the yeast in the bottle, dry hop through the top & rouse co2 through the beer out post & dip tube. Has anyone done this with the version 1? Would it disturb the yeast too much?

P.S. I love our man Jasper! Keep Drinkin'!

I just added an additional 100g of dry hops to the FermZilla and noticed that it will self flocculate for 10 minutes after releasing pressure then adding the dry hops. By releasing the pressure the CO2 release causes the liquid to roll around in Fermzilla for some time, additional charges with your CO2 cylinder followed by a dumping through the pressure relief valve will initiate the flocculation again. Ive done it 3 times now and it works like a charm. I will add that i removed the Trub through the collection container the night before to minimise the amount of trub being agitated through the aforementioned process. Just make sure you release all pressure from the vessel prior to removing the bottom collection container! The female thread on the Fermzilla collects alot of trub so be sure to spray it clean and sterilise before reinstalling the collection container, then purge the container of oxygen prior to opening the butterfly valve. Although it appears that you'll lose 1L of beer which drops back into the container after dumping the trub, my container is quickly filling up with hops following precipitation into the container therefore it should displace the beer back up into the fermenter where it can be sucked up...

No you wont... the Guten cant do what the FermZilla can do, not without drilling and doing all sorts of mods anyway.
WEF what can the fermzilla do that the Guten can’t do without modifications?
(Just curious)

Good question, unless the pressure kit is included with the Fermzilla for the extra money Guten S/steel would be my choice. I am using 2 snub nose Fermentasaurus at the moment 2 for $140 and that included the pressure kits.

WEF what can the fermzilla do that the Guten can’t do without modifications?
(Just curious)

@ Ballaratguy - Just to name a few

- Visibly see what's going on with your brew.
- The option to brew under pressure.
- Pressure control through additional spunding valve.
- Oxygen free pressure transfer into kegs.
- Ability to add dry hops oxygen free through collection container at the bottom.
- Ability to take trub free SG readings without introducing oxygen into wort.
- Future mods in the pipeline such as ability to add thermometer and heating wands into the lid!

Good question, unless the pressure kit is included with the Fermzilla for the extra money Guten S/steel would be my choice. I am using 2 snub nose Fermentasaurus at the moment 2 for $140 and that included the pressure kits.

To the contrary, for a small cost the pressure upgrade adds a whole lot of ability to an already great fermenter, read my post above...

@ Ballaratguy - Just to name a few

- Visibly see what's going on with your brew.
- Ability to add dry hops oxygen free through collection container at the bottom.
- Future mods in the pipeline such as ability to add thermometer and heating wands into the lid!

Kegland employee?

To the contrary, for a small cost the pressure upgrade adds a whole lot of ability to an already great fermenter, read my post above...

Well the snub noses can do all that but cheaper. For what a Fermzilla costs when you add the pressure kit you get two units so you can do dry hop oxygen free very easily and they don't come with dents.

Well the snub noses can do all that but cheaper. For what a Fermzilla costs when you add the pressure kit you get two units so you can do dry hop oxygen free very easily and they don't come with dents.
Looks like were steering away from the Guten as my original post intended also... If you want to compare apples with apples then go for it but that was not my intent.

Thats what I thought on his initial posts, hes the only one who could spell FermZilla correctly.:)

For a small cost the Guten can be upgraded too.

Lol, so FermZilla is a difficult word to spell o_O... Anyway, my first post stated that awefulknauful was unlikely to purchase a Guten over the Fermzilla due to the advantages the FermZilla has over the Guten and my following post detailed my first experiences with my newly purchased FermZilla.

Please elaborate what modifications and costs are involved to turn the Guten into a Fermzilla? It would have to be like for like or cheaper for me to consider one. One big advantage i see the Guten has is footprint/size over the Fermzilla.

Lol, so FermZilla is a difficult word to spell o_O... Anyway, my first post stated that awefulknauful was unlikely to purchase a Guten over the Fermzilla due to the advantages the FermZilla has over the Guten and my following post detailed my first experiences with my newly purchased FermZilla.

Please elaborate what modifications and costs are involved to turn the Guten into a Fermzilla? It would have to be like for like or cheaper for me to consider one. One big advantage i see the Guten has is footprint/size over the Fermzilla.
It would seem FermZilla with a capital Z is the way Keg Land spells it I haven't seen it written like that by the original poster or any of the contributors to the thread. Only awfulknauful can answer whether he is likely to buy the Guten, at the price I don't see why not, especially after he expressed his detailed view in his initial post.

As far as I know it just involves the purchase of a pressure kit much the same as it is for the fermzilla, and you are right size is an advantage as the Guten are stack-able.

When is the version coming out that can take hot wort or being able to be cleaned with some boiling water and sodium perc?
I remember there was talk of this. Just checked the manual and nothing over 50C.
How have you guys gone cleaning cold?

As far as I know it just involves the purchase of a pressure kit much the same as it is for the fermzilla, and you are right size is an advantage as the Guten are stack-able.

Which pressure kit is that exactly? There certainly aren't any on the KK website.

It would seem FermZilla with a capital Z is the way Keg Land spells it I haven't seen it written like that by the original poster or any of the contributors to the thread. Only awfulknauful can answer whether he is likely to buy the Guten, at the price I don't see why not, especially after he expressed his detailed view in his initial post.

Well considering i just bought one and have been anticipating its release for the past couple of months it's no wonder i know how it's SPELT, clearly their marketing has worked... I just assumed he wouldn't settle for a product (the Guten) that isnt able to do what his FermZilla can do. Anyway, your little jive at me being a Kegland employee is not true, Kegland don't work on a Sundays!!! Woops...just noticed i just spelt Kegland incorrectly...

When is the version coming out that can take hot wort or being able to be cleaned with some boiling water and sodium perc?
I remember there was talk of this. Just checked the manual and nothing over 50C.
How have you guys gone cleaning cold?
The hot tank version is still planned according to KL. But last time they answered this there was no time frame and they were concentrating on the current versoon to meet the demand.

Kegland employee?
I was wondering the same thing. 8 posts and almost all devoted to a Kegland product. Reminds me of several "home brewers" whose only contributions are spruiking KK gear or rubbishing KL gear. In fairness to the KL team, at least they have the decency to post officially as a company (as well as sponsor this forum) and not just shadow post. I would just rather see the end of shadow posters.
The key differences as I see it are:
  1. The Fermzilla is a true unitank. The Snubnose isn't
  2. You can add hops and other adjuncts oxygen free to to FZ, but not the SN (you could add a hop tea, but not hops O2 free)
  3. You can remove the trub with a FZ, but not the SN
  4. Ditto the yeast cake
There's probably others I'm missing, but these are the key reasons I will be buying a FZ when the new high temperature resistant material model hits the market. For me, the differences I pointed out aren't insignificant and are the reasons I'm willing to part with more of my hard earned for a FZ instead of a SN. I've long yearned for a unitank, but don't have a fat enough wallet. The FZ is a game changer for me.

Well considering i just bought one and have been anticipating its release for the past couple of months it's no wonder i know how it's SPELT, clearly their marketing has worked... I just assumed he wouldn't settle for a product (the Guten) that isnt able to do what his FermZilla can do. Anyway, your little jive at me being a Kegland employee is not true, Kegland don't work on a Sundays!!! Woops...just noticed i just spelt Kegland incorrectly...
I inquired about the Guten fermenter Saturday, they arrive on August 4th pressure kits are coming in later.
Your right the marketing did work, I was also anticipating the release with baited breath, what I didn't anticipate was the poor quality.

I inquired about the Guten fermenter Saturday, they arrive on August 4th pressure kits are coming in later.
Your right the marketing did work, I was also anticipating the release with baited breath, what I didn't anticipate was the poor quality.
I’m thinking the same thing! So the clamps on the Guten will handle a bit of pressure then?
On the whole Fermzilla vs Guten thing, I don’t need to see what’s going on - I have a Plaato Airlock for that. I have used Mangrove Jack stainless fermenters in the past and I use an old keg to do pressure fermenting.
The O2 thing? I’m not sending my stuff out to the trade and I have never had an oxidation problem before so it’s not an issue for me!
What I want to be able to do is harvest the yeast! I use Wyeast liquid sometimes & I can’t always get to the LHBS to buy it & they are not stocking it anymore anyway!
So with that in mind only 3 products suit. Then I look at my fermentation chamber & budget and that knocks out the SSbrewtech stuff. And then there is the heat problem with the Fermzilla?
So 4th August vs 20th July? And I’m not in any great hurry either, so it might be worth it to wait;)
Cheers

Back