Fermentor Age

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
im curious about this one.at what stage do you decide to chuck out the fermenter and buy a new one.they must have a useful life span before age creeps in.Do age weary fermenters hide off flavours or are they more susceptible to infection.
I intend to purchase a ss conical fermenter some time this year which will remove one dilemma on fementer age.

the shine of it all
big d

D,

I now that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I've had a 50L SS fermenter for about 4 months now, but due to weather conditions and lack of space I can only use it during the cooler months.

WTF does this have to do with anything you ask? Well, I have a plastic Olinda fermenter that I use on an almost constant basis...it is about 15 years old and the beer never tasted better :D

PZ.

I had 2 60L fermenters a few years ago which both cracked when i moved them, they were full of grape must. They did spend a summer outside in the sun tho so dont be doin that.
I would suggest if the inside still feels smooth keep using them until you get that pretty conical.

:beer:

Richard

I never had any drama's with my 13year old Wander fermenter, AND, I used to scrub it with a scourer(sp?) eep!.
Last year it cracked thru the handle, its now the racking/bulk-priming barrel.

Back