Fermenting Under Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Report.

Have just fermented an all Grain using recipe http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/17560/brulosophers-best-blonde-ale
This is 42 litres using the Guten 50L, and I attained an incredible 1.054 using wlp029 yeast (2 packets - 1 was on the stir plate for 24 hours).
After 5 days, I was 1.010 temperature 19.4. I ramped up yesterday another degree to 20.5, and its sat like that now for 24h. Im thinking of another day at 20.5 before cooling.
Pressure ferment is 15psi.

I took a sample 10min ago, and it smells like honey, so I guess thats pentainedione.
How long do you reckon I should leave it?

Could be a lot of things
From Complete beer fault guide
upload_2019-2-3_22-34-37.png

But I'd hazard a guess that VDK's are a good bet (sure you meant 2,3-pentanedione)
Again with the fault guide.
Mark

Attachments

• Complete_Beer_Fault_Guide.pdf
    454.7 KB · Views: 50
Why would you doubt it happening to anyone...it's happened to many more for much less (or no good reason actually)
The post was inocuous, I think it was more the fact he was a retailer that the post was deleted, not anything new about that on here, Keg Land got their fist post deleted but didn't get banned, just had to pay the retailers fee's.

I doubt I could ever be sold on the idea of pressure fermenting, I would have to consider the viability of the yeast. Putting an unnecessary stress on yeast could only return an unsatisfactory outcome.

See you'd think so, but so many people, myself included, have returned great outcomes (yeast type dependant) with this method.

Ah yes there is, but now you are talking of hydro static pressure, highly unlikely you will come across that in a home brew situation. The pressure which is under discussion here is the top pressure of the co2, not allowing it to vent causes it to become dissolved into the wort. This has two adverse disadvantages on the fermentation the volatile substances are not allowed to vent with the co2 and the dissolved co2 itself will stall the yeast growth.
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0100-879X2005000800012
"A pressure of 50 MPa is not sufficient to kill or to alter yeast cell morphology."
15psi = 0.1MPa

I only skimmed, but they were doing much higher pressures and temperatures to what we would do.
If anyone feels like reading it and understands it, please summarise haha.
Again you are discussing hydro static pressure, this is not the issue here.

Ah yes there is, but now you are talking of hydro static pressure, highly unlikely you will come across that in a home brew situation. The pressure which is under discussion here is the top pressure of the co2, not allowing it to vent causes it to become dissolved into the wort. This has two adverse disadvantages on the fermentation the volatile substances are not allowed to vent with the co2 and the dissolved co2 itself will stall the yeast growth.

Again you are discussing hydro static pressure, this is not the issue here.

I have been pressure fermenting (40L batches, temp controlled 18C) for over 2 years now in a 50L sanke keg.....10-12psi at most using recultured US05; never had a prob, fast and efficient, magnificent product!!

I have been pressure fermenting (40L batches, temp controlled 18C) for over 2 years now in a 50L sanke keg.....10-12psi at most using recultured US05; never had a prob, fast and efficient, magnificent product!!
If you like what you are doing, keep doing it, have you entered it into comps?

What in the case where a spunding valve where the excess pressure is released?

What in the case where a spunding valve where the excess pressure is released?
From what I have been reading many home brewers are starting off setting the spunding valve to 15 even 20 PSI. It has been mentioned before that many breweries, especially craft breweries only cap at the end of fermentation so as carbonate their beer. I doubt whether there are any breweries fermenting at 15 PSI, not just because that most of the fermentation tanks have a safe pressure limit of 15 PSI.
I am sure that if fermenting in a closed vessel and keeping it at 15 PSI or less and continually producing satisfactory beer in a shorter time frame the breweries would be all over it.

I am sure that if fermenting in a closed vessel and keeping it at 15 PSI or less and continually producing satisfactory beer in a shorter time frame the breweries would be all over it.
I let pressure build to just over 12, sometimes lower, then open spunding valve to maintain the 10-12 psi range. Slightly higher ferment temp upwards of 21-22C give a quick ferment 3-4 days...then 5C cold crash and ready to drink.

I have successfully brewed a lager @15psi (25c) in 5 days 2 days cold crash.
What I'm getting mainly from this conversation is if it works for you... [emoji106]

As I said before if you are happy with what you make thats fine, I am not here to convert anyone just pointing out a few facts. I am not in a rush to produce a beer just to produce a good beer which I can enter into competitions with a good chance of winning, or at least getting a place.
I have successfully brewed a lager @15psi (25c) in 5 days 2 days cold crash.
What I'm getting mainly from this conversation is if it works for you... [emoji106]
There are many ways of measuring success, speed isn't one of them, unless of course you are in a race.

Agree, some people are just in a rush by nature sometimes.
I for one just like to experiment, in saying that, apart from what I have already mentioned I have a Barleywine that I will not touch until Christmas time.

Agree, some people are just in a rush by nature sometimes.
I for one just like to experiment, in saying that, apart from what I have already mentioned I have a Barleywine that I will not touch until Christmas time.
I have tried that with the strong ales, by the time it comes time to drink them I will only have a dozen or so left.

Back