Fermenting Under Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Teflon tape..... relax it works, I’d be putting that gauge on the gas not the beer.

i just picked up 2 X 23L myttons / Schweppes kegs $50 each to increase my head space for some more pressure kegmenter options :group:

# the lifesaver / post seals on the posts were stuffed but CO2 regulator -> gas bottle seals fit !!
it let me get them cleaned out and pressure tested :p

i just picked up 2 X 23L myttons / Schweppes kegs $50 each to increase my head space for some more pressure kegmenter options :group:

# the lifesaver / post seals on the posts were stuffed but CO2 regulator -> gas bottle seals fit !!
it let me get them cleaned out and pressure tested :p
Several places to get kits for these kegs, and prolly best to go right through the things if your fermenting in them.

Several places to get kits for these kegs, and prolly best to go right through the things if your fermenting in them.

agreed and have ordered the right seals
i had everything else except the LS post seals and wanted to pressure test for holes
random searching the shed found a temp fitting seal

Just thought I would add to this regarding ales . Done my first ale pressure fermented an S&W pacific ale clone (brewmans recipe) . I transferred off cake and dry hoped 2 days at 15.5 and the 2 days at 2 and then transferred again to serving keg . This ended up the best hop aroma and taste I have had yet .

I had issues transferring to serving keg as my gas bottle is all but empty so had to use racking cane . I am not sure if it's because I put the hops in naked or the hopping was done off the yeast cake and under pressure . Or the dry hop was a mixture of warm and cold temps But it's just night and day to what I have dry hopped before .
I think it could be even be the 0 minute addition aroma/flavour is not being lost when pressure fermenting also , not sure
I've recently brewed this as well, its an amazing beer. Pressure fermented and i put the dry hops in first thing and left them in because I don't like to open the fermenter and it will ferment out in maybe 4 or 5 days anyway. One of the best beers I've made, was drinking it in 8 days

Pressure to high?
No!

Black disconnect?
Yes! Clearly you're paying closer attention than me when I clicked 'add to cart'.

No temp control
Sort of. The laundry is a fairly consistent 20 deg.

White Teflon tape..... relax it works, I’d be putting that gauge on the gas not the beer.
Yeah, the correct part is somewhere in express post.

no toes / safety thongs / dressing gown in the pic ?
No sweat, I'm wearing hi-viz undies.

Couldn't wait for my spunding valves to arrive,pitched yeast in a special bitter with just a dash of oxygen at 2 pm, 10 pm vented the secondary cube so no air left in both cubes. At 6.15 am, both tanks decidedly out of shape and gauge reading 10 psi, a flaw I did think of was the NRV for the pressure in the fermenting vessel to push gas through the NRV it has to be greater than in the secondary.o_O
I really wanted to keep the fermentation below 5 psi but what's done is done just hope everything turns out OK, I will be waitng for my PRV's before I do my next brew. Really didn't expect such a large volume of co2 in such a short space of time.
001.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    593.2 KB · Views: 155
I know I will be doing a lot more reading about yeast, how a minuscule single cell organism can fill up a 25 +(3) litre head space plus 7 litres of head space above the wort and take it to 10 psi is incredible. After half an hour I went back after releasing the pressure and another gush of co2 came out, have left the valve just cracked open, really hope my PRV's come today.

Ok guys been reading through this thread and the answer to my question is probably somewhere but I must have missed it.
Just about to do my first pressure ferment, I have a fermentasaurus and am going to do an ipa what pressure should I set the prv for and should I do the whole ferment at the same pressure ? I would like it to naturally carbonate in the process. Any help hints or tips would be much appreciated.
Cheers in advance.
Mark.

Try 5 to 10 psi for the main duration then when there is a few gravity points left up it to 30 psi
Record youre results

If you dont get to the 30psi relax have a homebrew chill transfer & top up carb with youre co2
Presuming you keg

Dan says in his post (number 342) 5 psi for ales in his fermentasaurus which I would go along with, I have read quite a bit about it on other sites and it seems to come in around 2 to 5 psi. I can't find any scientific evidence to back it up, as nobody seems to have done any work on ale yeast and pressure. Except to say it doesn't work on ale yeast like it does with lager yeast, where there is plenty written about temperature and pressure for lager.

If you want esters from the yeast keep it below 8psi. If you want less esters, keep it above 15psi. If you’re harvesting yeast, don’t go above 30psi.

Regarding carbing, I don’t have my results in that regard dialled in yet. At the moment I’m leaning towards setting the spunding valve a few psi above the pressure you need in order to carb to the desired carb level at fermentation temperature. Set to that point after the first three days of fermentation. I’m getting inconsistent results carbing in the fermenter and need to work out why. It’s likely I’ll ferment to the end at carbonation pressure and then immediately transfer for finishing with forced carbonation. I haven’t given up yet though ;)

I can't find any scientific evidence to back it up, as nobody seems to have done any work on ale yeast and pressure. Except to say it doesn't work on ale yeast like it does with lager yeast, where there is plenty written about temperature and pressure for lager.

It is known that the major effect of pressure is due to the increase in CO2 concentration.

As a first cut then, we could apply the known equation for [CO2] vs temperature and pressure to come up with an equivalence

P1 = P2 . e^ (2617.25 * (1 / T2 - 1 / T1)).

Note that P and T are absolute values in SI units, so a ferment termperature of 20 oC would be entered as 293.15 oK and a top pressure of 0 kPa would be entered as 101.3 kPa.

Last edited:
Ok guys been reading through this thread and the answer to my question is probably somewhere but I must have missed it.
Just about to do my first pressure ferment, I have a fermentasaurus and am going to do an ipa what pressure should I set the prv for and should I do the whole ferment at the same pressure ? I would like it to naturally carbonate in the process. Any help hints or tips would be much appreciated.
Cheers in advance.
Mark.

Here's a handy chart that was referenced earlier in regard to carbonation.
http://kegking.com.au/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/KEGKING-Set-Forget-CO2-Carbonation-Chart.png

I'm actually considering running the ferment out then gassing up a PET and force injecting the appropriate amount of sugaz dissolved in a little boiled water and bulk priming if the ferment doesn't give me the bubbles I need.
But from memory I think that will take a couple of weeks. So more likely will crack sooner, give in and force carb.

Hopefully your spunding valve will prove more accurate than mine that seems as precise as a two bob watch, which really doesn't help when trying to predict CO2 absobsion.

Back