Fermenting Too Warm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Hi all,
Put down 15 litres of a US IPA yesterday arvo and pitched at 24 (as we have had pretty cold nights of late) I thought it would drop down to 20 overnight.
Instead I woke up this morning and it was sitting at 26 degC.
I know the early parts of fermentation are most important. I am cooling the fermenter with wet towels currently... Have I wrecked it already though?
I used 2 times US05 by the way as it was reading 1.072.

I dont think it will be wrecked, try to get the temps down but you may have produced some unwanted flavours, Wether they will be noticeable or not is another thing. Being a IPA if there is any faults it will prob hide it behind the hops. Just leave it do its thing and you will find out in a few weeks if it has had a impact on the beer or not.

yeah I am hoping the hops hide a fair bit... I did put around 200g in the recipe... this will include 60g dry hop....

It will be fine, but it will be finished in 3 days max. Pretty much bomb proof that yeast.

Steve

I have often pushed US05 to 26C where it gets "fruity" (esters) which can compliment an APA nicely, but probably won't be as noticible in a 7% IPA.

Wouldn't go above 28C though - that's fusel territory with US05. I do a lot of ambiet temp brewing here in the GC in winter and have had unseasonable temperatures show me just where US05 falls flat on its face. It's 27C+.

I love me some esters in an ale (even in an APA with non-C hops), but fusels are the pits. 24-26C is doable with this yeast, but 20C is as warm as I'd go if I wanted a "to style" American beer.

I have often pushed US05 to 26C where it gets "fruity" (esters) which can compliment an APA nicely, but probably won't be as noticible in a 7% IPA.

Wouldn't go above 28C though - that's fusel territory with US05. I do a lot of ambiet temp brewing here in the GC in winter and have had unseasonable temperatures show me just where US05 falls flat on its face. It's 27C+.

I love me some esters in an ale (even in an APA with non-C hops), but fusels are the pits. 24-26C is doable with this yeast, but 20C is as warm as I'd go if I wanted a "to style" American beer.
Exactly, as long as it ends up cold and carbonated it will still do the job, just brew it and again and get it right next time :)

Back