Fermenting staged batches in a cool room - real world experiences pls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick_BCB

Reaction score
Hi all,
Current setup is a fermentation chamber per brew as I generally have 3 on the go.
I may have the option to use my brother inlaws coolroom and ramping up the volumes of my brews.

As an alternative to individual temp control, can anyone give some real world experience with putting 3 or 4 large-ish fermentors in a single cool room and let me know if this works ok or not?

Ales only at 18 degrees, 150 litre SS fermenters and the coolroom is about 3 x 4 metres or so.
Scenario 1 is a batch goes into the room once a week and sits for 2 weeks.
Scenario 2 is the room gets filled up with a batch every weekday for 2 weeks.

Will I get too much internal temp fluctuations across the batches?

Will the coolroom be set at a few degrees lower than target ferment temp?

I can't give the required real world experience in regards to fermenting in a cool room but I worked as a chef for a few years and a good coolroom maintains temp evenly and well - it's designed to cope with people constantly running in and out, big trays of hot food cooling, regular food safety rep checks etc. I'd trust one 100x more than my ferment fridge.

Unless they have changed their systems, Bacchus in Brisbane ferment in cool rooms - one at primary temperature and the other at lagering temperature. This is a legacy from when they were primarily a Brew for You business.

Works just fine as the quality and reputation of their beers attest.

ed: I see you are in Bris, why not pop into Bacchus, sample a few and pump them for some info, I'm sure they would be helpful.

Thanks Bribie G - have not been to Bacchus for awhile, sounds like a good excuse to stop by. Cheers :)

Back