Fermenting Slow Down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datfrog

Reaction score
My Brew has really slowed down fermenting after only 2 and a bit days. Mixed Saturday Night and Tuesday morning it is slowing up.

The temp has been maintained between 22-26 the whole way.

Should I be worried. It is my first time in 6 years so I am naturally like a proud father and probally over reacting ?

The Frog

It's not suprising that it's slowed down...at that temp range it wll ferment very quickly...don't worry about it.. take a SG reading and have a coldie....

On another note....the all grain pale ale i did a week ago has been sitting on 1.010 for 3 days.....still haven't racked it...i know that english ale WLP 002 is less attenuating...but it's tasting a bit sweet...will racking it + time in the secondary knock a few points off it?

Cheer's Will do a Check on it tonight. Will let it go for the day.

Will have the coldy later, might look a bit suss turing up at work with Beer breath already ! :)

Green Iguana said:
will racking it + time in the secondary knock a few points off it?
GI

if there are still fermentables left in the beer then racking it and time in secondary can drop a few points as racking it mixes up the yeast back into the beer and can get the yeast going again.
Then again if there aren't any fermentables left then it wont change your SG readings at all.

Hoops

The whitelabs english ale seems to floculate heaps...the brew is very clear...

Took your advice. Calmed down, Then did a SG and it is 1010ish. Did taste with the left over after SG and it aint bad at all. Will check it again tommorow.

It is a Coopers Lager from the std pack just to get me started.

Is anyone planning a meet soon ?

Have started my 2nd batch of brew, Still using Kits, But i decided to use a liquid sugar from Brewiser just to be a little different. I did this with a Cascade Golden Harvest Lager kit, Have done several SG's ober the past 3 days now and still at 1010, Seems very pale in colour too. Anyone else seen this with the Cascade Kit. Also the Ferment took over 24 hours to start. Still bubbling a little now and it is has been 7 days.

Should I start to worry ?

The Frog

Datfrog it seems you have a lot of Questions and so have I. What is your Temp. sitting at, are you using an Ale or Lager Yeast also did you rehydrate your yeast. If you need to chat to someone ring Dave or Mark at Goliaths on 82940888 they will help you out.

Also they are having a brew day at the shop on Sat. September 4 between 10-3pm
all welcome and Jason is brewmiester for the day.

Regards
Mark

Well it has been at 24-26 the whole time. I am using the std bohemium yeast that thet supplied in there can. I did not rehydrate i sprinkled it on and gentle stirred as per directions. I have been reading about rehydrating and will be doing this on the next brew.

Is that Sept 4th or Aug 14th If i is the later i have missed. it

Sept 4 238a Brighton road Somerton park
I think you are brewing at to high a temp.
Mark

What were the OGs of the brews amphibian one??

There may also be a gathere\ing of the AHB clan down your way at GMK's place in Lyndoch on the labour day long weekend in October, though I think he might still be looking for a brewer to volunteer to come to the plate - PM GMK for details, and ckeck out his tread about in in the AHB Meetings forum.

Excuse my ignorance. What is an OG ? :)

I have bottled it tonight anyways. Was finally down to 1007. Does not taste too bad. I bottled with Dextrose primer.

On another note. How do you guys keep the temp upto the bottled product. Also can you leave it longer to 2nd ferment in cold conditions.

Your Views.

I am moving to Lyndoch this week. So GMK we might catch up for that Beer sooner rather than later

The Frog

Original Gravity. The starting gravity when you first mixed it up, before you pitched the yeast to the wort

OIC, This one was pretty high, (Well I thought so at the Time) 1050.

Thats just a Pup DATFROG. Wait till u start doing AGers and start doing some big 1100's +. And you will end up doing at least part mashs, if u get the bug real good!!!

Latest posts

Back