Fermenting In The Keggle Or Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkaos

Reaction score
Hi All,
So I've just concluded my experiment on fermenting in my stainless keggle. I brew with BIAB/3V but recently have done a few extracts as I wanted to get going asap. For the most recent batch, a 40L sticklebract bitter, I got lazy and decided to see if I could ferment in the 50L keg that I did the boil in.

I no chill anyway, so I had to leave it until the next day. I pitched 2 packs of SAF US05, and let it do its thing. The beer has come out tasting better than ever, pure (coincidence of course) and I kegged it tonight. I thought I'd just post this in case anyone else was thinking of doing this.

It's half way to a conical, as the base of the keg is slightly conical. Give it a shot, it's a great way to brew!

Cheers,

Clint

Clint,
I don't ferment in my keggle but i have a designated fermenter that i made out of a 50 ltr keg. I normally brew 46 ltr batches. I have been using it for a few years now and haven't had any dramas with it. Here's a pic of it currently fermenting a Belgian Saison.

Fermenter.jpg

And so we move from one rather popular thread "Throw Out Your Cubes" where the great and important benefits of NC are argued to an open cool open ferment regime....(????)
I do not NC (I am a YC'er) but I do, from time to time, ferment after, rapid cooling, in situ, in the kettle. Of course the conditions need to be pretty good (cool temperatures) and the yeast pitch quite high to ensure rapid take off, I only ever use dried yeast for this foolishness and re-hydrate properly. I also transfer after 3 days to stainless 22l tubular bells (kegs) to complete fermentation mop up and rests.
The beer is not a comp winner, be asured of that, generally speaking the beers are sound but display what I can only call a muddied bitterness, the esters tended to the fruity side in one case.
I do not advocate this method, in fact I would not even reccomend it! But none the lessit has given neither myself or my many friends who tasted such beers .."You WHAT???...oh well so what"..botulism.

K

K

Interesting, for sure, thanks for the share! :icon_cheers:
As someone who knows their process admits a good deal of kettle trub into the fermenter this is not surprising to hear, but you may find it is scorned. However, I'd suggest that the benefits in excluding every crumb of break and every speck of hops debris from the fermenter (how often is the phrase 'crystal clear wort' used?) are sadly overstated, as you've found for yourself. I won't regurgitate yet again the competitive results achieved with aforementioned method (not that different from what you're doing), but you can rest assured that you're on a winner, plus you also save yourself no small amount of farting about in draining the kettle into something else. This is even more rewarding if you yourself are pleased with the beers, evidently that is the case. :super:

Oh, not sure how you're closing your keggle for fermentation, however nice wide cling film would be the duck's nuts, no?

Gday Fitarm
Thanks for the pic,I am thinking of doing something similar with a keg.I already have a 50L stainless steel conical from a leading Queensland/Brisbane brew shop,works really well.But I need to either stop sharing my beer or get another fermenter.However mortage and kids means I cannot afford another $800+ fermeneter.
Can u rotate the bottom ball valve???It looks welded,any internal shots??

On the topic of conicals and kegs, could you not use the keg upside down with a valve on the bottom to drain it and a blow off on the bottom (used to be the top).

I'm thinking fill it via the normal hole, fit your drain valve, flip up side down, remove the bung and fit an air lock or hose to a bucket. When the time comes to bottle or keg, drain the yeast from the bottom then fill your bottles/kegs.

On issue would be cleaning but a steam cleaner and some napisan and steriliser should do the trick?

Would this work or is the angle on the bottom critical for draining the yeast out?

Thoughts...

I've fermented in the kettle before. You get decent beer - but then your kettle is full with fermenting beer and you can't make more until it's finished.

Back