Fermenting Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
I've kind of convinced my wife of getting a fermenting fridge, what do I need to set it up?

There is plenty of info on here about how to buy/build/create/install/maintain an STC-1000 unit. Use the google search.

Or you can go the low tech alternative like me....buy a timer to install between your plug and wall socket and have it turn on a couple times a day. A little trial and era and you can find a good balance for the temp you want. Costs about $10-15 :icon_chickcheers:

what do you mean by "kind of convinced my wife"......

sounds like your headed the right way for a kick in the nuts :blink:

FWIW, i regularly "kind of convince my wife" of lots of things....

I wouldn't be messing around with timers but would go straight to an stc1000 or similar. You won't regret it. Set and forget is brilliant. Gives you the ability to brew in different weather, with more vigorous yeasts that create more heat, ramp up or down temps, crash chill with accuracy. My bet is you'll end up with one in the end if you go another route and kick yourself for not doing it earlier.

I'm a greenhorn when it comes to tech stuff but managed to wire it up fine with the help here

what do you mean by "kind of convinced my wife"......

sounds like your headed the right way for a kick in the nuts :blink:

FWIW, i regularly "kind of convince my wife" of lots of things....
I told her I was about to sell my braumeister because my beers were not tasting any good. I said that I need a stable fermentation. So far so good

Look in the local paper I bought a 500lt upright freezer for 80 bucks shelves come out. It can hold 60lt fermenter and 23lt at the same time. Then buy a temp controller and then brew shit load of beer any time of year.

sav

Love that thing

I've kind of convinced my wife of getting a fermenting fridge, what do I need to set it up?

Many variables here BB. Buying new or freebie, second hand?. I use a bar fridge now but I had to hack out the door shelves to fit std fermenter. Best bet if its a dedicated ferment fridge is to only get the smallest one that you can fit your fementers in as per your batch size or brewing regime and save running costs/power. ie; one ferment of 23ltr only needs small fridge, 2 ferment drums realy ups the scale severely. Youll need a temp controller.The STC-1000 is cheap and easily fitted.(Buy 2) Big thread on those in gear & equip. Its a piece of cake J. PM if you need help. I know you like cake. Seriously, temp control $20 but fridge $? thats the Q.
Daz

I told her I was about to sell my braumeister because my beers were not tasting any good. I said that I need a stable fermentation. So far so good

Sir, I will not hear of such a slur upon the mighty braumeister!!!!
Get ye to to the classifieds, and find a f..ing 'fridge.........now.

:icon_cheers:

Sell it and buy 10 fridges.

sav

Shite, u got a braumister before a ferment fridge? Get a cheap 2nd hand fridge and a temp controller pronto.
Code:

Its best to use a upright all-fridge, or all-freezer as your ferm chamber. Means you won't have a mold playground in the freezer/slushy section ;)

I hope that approach works for you. I know plenty of Brewers wives who would have replied in under 1 sec "Sell it then!"
Fridges are always for sale in the classifieds, or recycle depot, or on lawns during Council collection. They don't have to be fancy because you are going to gut it of all but the bottom shelf anyway.

I've put a bid on eBay for a fridge for $20, she got a camera last week for $3000

$3000!
You have beer credit to boot.
You can afford a fridge with pin stripes and a sun roof.

+1 trying to source a fridge without the freezer, but if its cheap and capable any will do to get you started.
Can't beat stc-1000, temp control is worth every penny. Wire it up independent of your fridge and just plug your fridge and heat source into it...accurate, consistent, mobile = vastly improved beer.

Its best to use a upright all-fridge, or all-freezer as your ferm chamber. Means you won't have a mold playground in the freezer/slushy section ;)

Balls :( My freezer-less bar fridge just kicked the bucket and I only have a fridge/freezer combo to replace it with. How bad does the mould get?

Back