Fermenting Fridge To Sit On My Washing Machine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Due to space requirements, I am wondering if anybody's bought a fridge that fits a fermenter and would sit on top of my washing machine? Thinking that volume would probably have to be 160L or higher. Preferably without the freezer :)

Used to have a big fridge back in Scotland but no room here :(

Anyone got a tried and true fridge?

Thanks!

I would be worried about the washing machine vibration reeking havok.
Put your dryer on the washing machine and the fridge on the floor ;)

Hadn't thought about the vibration, that's a good shout. I'll sit on top of it next time it's going and see what sort of vibration I get.

No dryer, the fridge is going to be where the dryer would be, SWMBO is not happy.

Yeah, the spin cycle on mine goes off. I wouldnt want a fermenter sitting on there.
Im not sure, but i dont think it would be good for the fridge if it decided to cycle at the same time as a spin.

Another option is to build a shelf above the washing machine, either from the wall, or the floor to put the fridge on that would isolate it.

Cant help with your actual question tho. I have a full height freezer as my ferm fridge.

OR... go ahead with it, and tell SWMBO that washing is only to be done within 24hrs of yeast pitch. She'll be agitated, for sure, but so will your wort and that's sure to help yeast get a nice foothold.
She'll definitely see your logic and agree, especially if you tell her not to overreact first

or possibly SWMBO is pissed cos she can't sit on top of washer anymore :ph34r:

Just chuck it on top and you won't have to buy an oxy wand.

I reckon my brew would end up three feet away from the machine and all over the floor of the laundry.
My washing machine gets a real jig up if I'm washing anything like sheets or towels, slowly vibrates away from the wall, if it had something on top that might just make it worse. Fuckn thing, it's level too. I even tried thick bits of rubber under the feet. That just made it worse.

I learnt long ago to keep my brewing things to a minimum in the laundry/main house. Straight in and straight out, or I cop an earful and constant nagging. Not worth the drama.

Me too.
That's why I brew in winter/autumn and bottle outside. Fermenters can sit next to my PC/CRT in my little man cave/spare room in winter/autumn.
It's a hassle to even use the kitchen for a 30min kit brew.
As I have a free standing dishwasher in the laundry too I often put fermenters on top of that to warm up after a dry/steam cycle in the dishwasher, or bottle on top of that, but it's too much of a PITA

Latest posts

Back