Fermenting Fridge Or Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
I think I remember reading on this site once before that a chest freezer uses less electricity than a fridge. Does that sound right? If so, how much less energy does it use?

I have recently bought a thermostat from G&G and am now keeping my eyes peeled for a fermenting fridge or chest freezer. What do you guys think would work best.

Cheers

Bowie

If its only used for fermenting, then it wont be on that long - unless you brew 365 days a year.

I would be more concerned lifting heavy fermentors in and out of a chesty, hence would go the fridge option. How strong is your back?

In terms of electricity used, I would imagine a chest freezer would use less, and the cold air cant escape as easily in a chesty as the lid is on top. You would only be cycling the power on for short periods in any case.

2c.

I think I remember reading on this site once before that a chest freezer uses less electricity than a fridge. Does that sound right? If so, how much less energy does it use?

I have recently bought a thermostat from G&G and am now keeping my eyes peeled for a fermenting fridge or chest freezer. What do you guys think would work best.

Cheers

Bowie
[/quote

+ 1 for what raven19 said. If you go for the fridge option have a piece of cardboard; thin plywood; or Styrofoam you can place in the front of the fridge to keep the cold air from dropping out when you open the door. If your only going to open it infrequently then don't worry about it. My fridge which I had in the carport gave up the ghost last summer and had been really struggling in the Perth heat, I got a chest freezer the other day to turn into a kegerator & will be using a small bar fridge for fermenting (both will be indoors).

Cheers

PS. Apparently if you run more than 2 fridges (older models) it's cheaper to run a small cool room, a great option if you've got the $$$$$$.

thermodynamically/mathematically, a freezer should consume more energy simply because you're generally achieving a lower temperature.

However practically, freezers may be insulated better to withstand lower temperatures than fridges, and depending on quality of the refrigeration cycle, may be more efficient. Or less.

Basically boils down to each individual fridge/freezer you are comparing. Chest fridges/freezers always win out over uprights a little though because of the aformentioned cold air leak issues.

In my experience however, insulation is the biggest factor in determining the stability/accuracy/precision and efficiency of a chiller system.

thermodynamically/mathematically, a freezer should consume more energy simply because you're generally achieving a lower temperature.

However practically, freezers may be insulated better to withstand lower temperatures than fridges, and depending on quality of the refrigeration cycle, may be more efficient. Or less.

Basically boils down to each individual fridge/freezer you are comparing. Chest fridges/freezers always win out over uprights a little though because of the aformentioned cold air leak issues.

In my experience however, insulation is the biggest factor in determining the stability/accuracy/precision and efficiency of a chiller system.

I think being a fermenting fridge both will be controlled to the same temperature. Freezers are insulated better, and the chest style don't let the cold air drop out every time you open it. Chest freezers are a bugger to lift the fermentor in and out. If I was buying new I would get a upright freezer that could hold two fermentors, and a chest freezer to hold my corny kegs.

QldKev

Absolutely QLDkev. For those considering a chest freezer and are getting it second hand or don't mind voiding the warantee, it helps to raise the freezer up on some slats, make a bulkhead on the bottom of the chest freezer and use that to pump your fermented goodies into a corny or to your filter setup.

Of course that's an extra step involving possible contamination, but I for one promote not destroying your back. :)

I ferment in a 50L stainless fermenter inside a chest freezer. The chest freezer is on wheels.

I put the fermenter in empty and fill it while its in the freezer and when im done i rack out of it into 2 kegs and then its empty when I lift it out, so I never have to lift a full 50l fermenter.

Im in need of a ferment fridge & have been toying with what to get.

I recon I might go the way of a bar fridge & fold the freezer compartment back to fit the fermenter in.

Reason being for space

Has any one done this I will try a search to see if I can find a thread on it.

If you already have some spare freezer capacity why not save yourself a heap and get a big dead fridge and swap in some frozen PETs once a day, I have successfully done lagers in the QLD summer and find that most times of the year one 2L PET will keep ale temperature nicely, with two bottles for a slightly cooler ferment and 3 for a lager 12 degrees. I kept an ale chugging along at 19 during the recent 34 degree winter heatwave :eek: with one bottle changed every evening.

The only disadvantage is when you decide to go away for a few days but otherwise I can control my temp to a degree, after a while you don't even need to think about it.

cheers guys,

i just wanted to get a feel for what others use. Bribie I have already bought the thermostat so a dead fridge is not an option for me. It's more a question of energy efficiency. I also want to keep two fermenters cool, so it would have to be a wide-ish fridge or chest freezer. Perhaps one of those upside down fridges would be the best bet. It would be a good height for lifting in and out and also racking to secondary.

Bowie

cheers guys,

i just wanted to get a feel for what others use. Bribie I have already bought the thermostat so a dead fridge is not an option for me. It's more a question of energy efficiency. I also want to keep two fermenters cool, so it would have to be a wide-ish fridge or chest freezer. Perhaps one of those upside down fridges would be the best bet. It would be a good height for lifting in and out and also racking to secondary.

Bowie

What would you be using the bottom freezer for? As you are controlling the top fridge (with an upside down fridge freezer) and running it at say 19 degrees, what would happen to the freezer section, does it keep on freezing as normal or would it go 'slushy' and too warm? Fridgies on the forum might confirm.

Latest posts

Back