Fermenting Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Anyone used or using a freezer as a fermenting chamber?

Yeah, I've got a chest freezer which I acquired from the family. Fits two Coopers style 30 litre fermenters. I control it with a fridgemate.

Yeah, I've got a chest freezer which I acquired from the family. Fits two Coopers style 30 litre fermenters. I control it with a fridgemate.

Do you any issues with condensation build up?

Sometimes when the freezer was running for a while I had some condensation build up (and a couple times, ice!) but it's not really a problem.

ultimatley i'd love a massive upright freezer for fermenting, i just think all the lifting in and out of a chest freezer would be hard work unless you hooked up a pulley. but you dont see second hand uprights much and new ones are way expensive.

Yes I do a chest freezer, hooked up to my fridge mate, use it for fermenting and cold conditioning. works a treat, picked it up free as the seals weren't good enough for it to work as a freezer. It gets down to zero degrees which is plenty low enough for what i want to do.

Just becareful though, I get caught all the time trying lifting the lid up to have a sneaky sniff of the fermenting wort and always end up seeing stars from the co2 buildup inside the freezer :huh: ...gets me every time!

Not really, but I'm only fermenting at ale temps. I just wipe it out occasionally and leave it open when I'm not using it.

Do you any issues with condensation build up?

Used to be harder to get fermenters in and out of a small-ish fridge when I used that.

Hi Paul,

Yes I've got an upright freezer and it works really well as a fermentation fridge with a fridgemate as the controller. I have a lager fermenting away at 10 degrees at the moment.

cheers

Grant

I use a big old chest freezer for fermenting. No issues with condensation at ale temps. If I keep opening when crash chilling, yeah it gets damp at times. No biggy to run a brewery towel over the inside when the fermenters come out.

Latest posts

Back