Fermenting flanders red in queensland

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseC

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

Just seeing how anyone has gone ageing flanders reds in secondary during hotter times of the year, and whether or not the hot temperatures have impacted on their final beer? Any help would be appreciated!

My experience from earlier times is that the temperature has a significant effect on your beer here in SEQ. My first brewing attempts on the Gold Coast were simply undrinkable because I couldn't regulate the temperature and that was in winter. Previously, in a colder climate I'd brewed beers that won competitions but the three GC brews I made were absolute shit!

A brewing chamber makes all the difference. I use an old chest freezer that someone gave to me. You could probably get one for $50 if you looked around. Add a temperature controller for between $40 and $70 and for no more than $120 you've created a great brewing environment. Controllers by either Inkbird or Mangrove Jack (which I've got) will do the trick.

My experience from earlier times is that the temperature has a significant effect on your beer here in SEQ. My first brewing attempts on the Gold Coast were simply undrinkable because I couldn't regulate the temperature and that was in winter. Previously, in a colder climate I'd brewed beers that won competitions but the three GC brews I made were absolute shit!

A brewing chamber makes all the difference. I use an old chest freezer that someone gave to me. You could probably get one for $50 if you looked around. Add a temperature controller for between $40 and $70 and for no more than $120 you've created a great brewing environment. Controllers by either Inkbird or Mangrove Jack (which I've got) will do the trick.

Thanks mate, yeah I've got everything completely temperature controlled, I was just wanting to see how brewing and fermenting a flanders red say for an extended period of time without having to take up space in one of my fridges would go, leaving it outside in ambient temps instead. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'd suggest you're coming up to the wrong time of year to be doing an extended secondary at ambient temps. My brewing space (BNE) is under the house on a thick slab and the ambient temps are already averaging >24C.

Latest posts

Back