fermenting cider under pressure question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
I bought my self a spunding valve thing and until i find a bigger ferment fridge for a 50L keg i am going to ferment in a corny under pressure.

Any reason i should not ferment a cider under pressure?

What pressure and temp do you suggest ?

Just thinking cheap bottled juice for testing it out on...

The Williamswarn process uses SO-4 yeast at 23C and 1.5bar (20psi) with fermentation being finished in around 9 days

Cheers

Wobbly

I've done 1 cider pressure fermented in a 23lt corny. Same process as beer. I ferment at the lower end of the yeast temp recommendation but warmer is OK especially for cider. Nothing wrong with getting esters in cider. Finished ferment at 23psi. I think It was well and done in 8 days and left it for 12 days then chilled for 3 days then co2 pressure transferred into an 18lt keg and on tap.

Why not just unscrew the pressure relief valve on the keg and bung an airlock in? Then you can just ferment in a corny as normal without having to farnarkle around fermenting under pressure...

I think the idea is to deliberately ferment under pressure though, Airgead. I believe there are advantages (speeding the process up is one of those).

images.jpg

You must learn patience...

You may not realise all the advantages until you do it. Ferment finishes naturally carbonated for one of the advantages. No secondary/priming sugar measurements or forced carbonations. No exposures is another big advantage option.
and, and, less waiting! Ales can be on tap in 8 days from brew day. There is more.... :D

Danscraftbeer said:
You may not realise all the advantages until you do it. Ferment finishes naturally carbonated for one of the advantages. No secondary/priming sugar measurements or forced carbonations. No exposures is another big advantage option.
and, and, less waiting! Ales can be on tap in 8 days from brew day. There is more.... :D

all of these and i got some gift vouchers for xmas and thought i am going to buy a few toys for the brewery so i can try some new things.

kind of bought things i prob would not have with my own coins if you know what i mean

Damn now this really makes me want to get kegs finally. Argh.

so my woolies cider (and under the lid coopers yeast) is down to about 1008 from 1040 from Thursday 5th.

It's getting dry and i was wondering if i should cold chill it now to leave just a hint of sweetness....
i was thinking i could let it pressure up a little more to say 15-20psi, pull the spunding off and today chuck the keg in the keezer and let it go cold.

thoughts ?
too soon ?

it's a random experiment so i could test the spunding but it would be good if it's drinkable
it taste's ok, i am not realy a cider drinker, wife thought is seemed ok, bit warm at 20c....

Latest posts

Back