Fermentig Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
Hi All
I bought a Wyeast B1udvar 2000 i split the yeast in 2x30ml tubes and the rest i done a 1lit starter .When the starter finished i decanted the
liquid and pitched the yeast in to a 21lit batch. og 1.050 it has now been fermenting for 9 days checked the gravity to-day and it is 1.020
there is not much activty in the fermenter is this normal behaviour for this yeast.
PS...Grain Bill 4.5kg jw pilsner 250g munich molt
Any suggestion much appriciated
cheer Hopleaf

Hi All
I bought a Wyeast B1udvar 2000 i split the yeast in 2x30ml tubes and the rest i done a 1lit starter .When the starter finished i decanted the
liquid and pitched the yeast in to a 21lit batch. og 1.050 it has now been fermenting for 9 days checked the gravity to-day and it is 1.020
there is not much activty in the fermenter is this normal behaviour for this yeast.
PS...Grain Bill 4.5kg jw pilsner 250g munich molt
Any suggestion much appriciated
cheer Hopleaf

1.020 seems high,
you have underpitched your yeast, 1/2 pack into 1 litre starter falls quite short of recommended pitching rates
what temp have you been fermenting at ? i would raise the temp now to 18 to help it finish off
depending on mash temp, you would be hoping to drop down below 1.015

I like Wyeast 2000 - Budvar Lager and use it quite a bit. There's very little activity to be seen in the fermenter and it does take a while if fermented at the correct low temperatures.
If your fermenting it at around 10C, give it another week and your find it will be close to done by then. Most of my pilsners done with Wyeast 2000 take at least two weeks to come down to what I'm after.

Batz

Round 1.020, I often go to secondary and add 5C.

'Cept with my Urquell clone. That one I set and forget to keep all that lovely diacetyl in. Diacetyl and 45 IBUs of Saaz is a match made in heaven.

A number of questions and suggestions spring to my mind, most of which have been touched on by others.

1. You probably used far less yeast than you should have.
2. You probably haven't waited long enough.
3. What do you mean by activity?
4. Are you measuring gravity with a hydrometer or refractometer? If using a refrac, are you adjusting for the presence of alcohol?
5. What are your fermentation temps?
6. What was your mash schedule?

A number of questions and suggestions spring to my mind, most of which have been touched on by others.

1. You probably used far less yeast than you should have.
2. You probably haven't waited long enough.
3. What do you mean by activity?
4. Are you measuring gravity with a hydrometer or refractometer? If using a refrac, are you adjusting for the presence of alcohol?
5. What are your fermentation temps?
6. What was your mash schedule?
3 By activity i meant the krausen has goen naw it is like acppuccino
4 With a hydrometer
5 IT is fermenting at 11c in the fridge
6 I mashed ta 64c for 90 min boil for 90 min

Then refer to 1 & 2 and see how she goes over the next 3-5 days. If she stays at 1020, look at the various methods of rousing a stalled ferment.

Seems like a massive underpitch for a lager.

Then refer to 1 & 2 and see how she goes over the next 3-5 days. If she stays at 1020, look at the various methods of rousing a stalled ferment.

Seems like a massive underpitch for a lager.

I have checked the gravity to-day and it is 1.016 i think it is coming down slowly
Thanks you for your advice much appreciated
cheer Hopleaf

Back