Fermenters - Where Did Your Special Ones Come From?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InCider

Swap Whore
Reaction score
Fermenters - how did you get yours?

My first one - a Coopers white one with an orange lid belongs to my Wife's late brother. Sadly he died in a car accident 6 years ago. He was 18. It sat in my Mother in law's garage for 3 years or so, then made it to the secondary Man shed for one more year and was my first ever fermenter when I got brewing and it is going hard.

When my wife says that my world revolves around beer I reminder that I owe her late brother a lot. End of conversation. :lol::D

And because I am a Booze Hound of note, I quickly worked out that I needed more than one fermenter. I was chatting over the back fence to Al the Bat, a commercial cleaner, and I hit him up for some cubes. He had a chat to Mrs Al the Bat and she went out to one of his five Man sheds and gave me an old school black drum with airlock and bottle rod.

It was her late fathers and he was a brewer of note, so they tell me. "He kept his recipe a secret, and always used Coopers. A better beer you'll never have" they told me. I took their word and fermenter on the promise of a tallie of stout whenever I brew it.

And it's a bloody beauty! It was as clean as the day he washed up from his last brew ten years previous, and had the tide lines the prove it. I hosed it down and laid down a cider. No worries.

After a few tallies one day, and while not being a supersticious bloke, I decided to better my odds of longevity and buy my own. :ph34r:

It's a nice rig too, but with no history or culture.

Well, maybe some acetobacter every now and then! :p

InCider.

Back