Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry the Pom

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
I have had my 25lt Beer Fermenter for over 5 years. I have used a green scouring pad cleaning off the scum that remains before I clean and sterilize. I cannot see any scratches but have been told that bacteria can be present even if the fermenter has been sterilized with 100% Sodium Metabisulphite. If I do have to purchase a new fermenter is there any brands better than others and what do I look out for if anything.
Cheers Perry

never scrub a fermenter no need to its a job that is not needed and will only present issues with bacteria living in the plastic. All I do it put about 3-4 tablespoons of sodium percarbonate or napisan (home brand) and put a bit of hot water in to dissolve it then top it to the top. Leave it over night (or till its needed again) tip the solution into another fermenter, bucket, pot or anything else that needs cleaning I find its ok for a few uses. just throw all the spoons, taps and other things that need cleaning in there. rinse well and just sanitise straight after no need to scrub, wash or rub anything.

The green scouring pad will create a heap more small scratches in your fermentor wall. I would use a soft cloth instead.

Stains are not an issue - the soaking suggestions above are good too.

I still brew in some of my fermentors that are 12+ yrs old.

Perry .... where are u because if you need a new clean one an are located in Perth I can hook you up for sure ..

Cost of a couple of your finest ...I have 2 spare fermenters both looking pretty fly .. but not as sexy as the 60l ones i just picked up ... Thanks to Fish .. you are the bomb my man !!

Matt

G'day Brewers,
Thank you for your replies. I have never seen a Beer Fermenter in Bunnings and I spend hours looking around the store, men's toy shop! ledgenko I'm in Maryborough Qld too far to go on my push bike to Perth thank's anyway. I'll purchase a new Fermenter and use the Home Brand Napisan.
Thank you all for your help. Great web site with helpful users.
Cheers Perry

the fermenters at bunnings are water drums they are usually with all the eskies and camping kind of gear. Or you can got to a camping store like BCF they have them but a little dearer

the fermenters at bunnings are water drums they are usually with all the eskies and camping kind of gear. Or you can got to a camping store like BCF they have them but a little dearer

Hell yeah,
As well as the taps being a tad cheeper too.

Perry, we've been using the glad wrap method (As described some where in this site) instead of the lid/airlock, works well, Dunno why we didn't do this ages ago. ;)
Check the link below.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showarticle=131

G'day Brewers,
Thank you for your replies. I have never seen a Beer Fermenter in Bunnings and I spend hours looking around the store, men's toy shop!

As other's have said, they are just water drums that people use for a wide variety of uses. There's nothing special about a beer fermenter.

Unless it's a nice shiny, expensive, very blingy stainless conical....but that's a whole 'nother story

Until Coopers redesigned the one they supply with home brew kits, all the home brew kits just supplied water drums.

G'day Brewers,
Called into Bunnings to find a Beer Fermenter. The assistant said that they only had 20lt buckets. Maybe larger store have them. Could anybody tell me if Bunnings have them as I might be able to order one.
Cheers Perry

If you've got a BigW or something else near by they normally sell Willow water drums but most of the Bunnings stores I've seen over here sell them bar a tiny 'hardware sized' one.

Try Aussie Disposals - they have a good variety of water storage containers. 25L cubes are under $15 there too. If you want an actual fermenter, try a home brew store. A 23-30L should be under $30 and an airlock is around $3, if you want one.

G'day Brewers,
Called into Bunnings to find a Beer Fermenter. The assistant said that they only had 20lt buckets. Maybe larger store have them. Could anybody tell me if Bunnings have them as I might be able to order one.
Cheers Perry

130115.jpg

or theses

131442.jpg

these are from BCF but bunnings or any camping store will have them.

My sister works at bunnings, and is over from melbourne staying with us at the moment.

Went into my bunnings the other day, and she laughed at the place and said there are many different "sized" bunnings dependent on the population of the area they are built in. She said mine was the smallest model of bunnings that they do.

My bunnings has those water drums by the truckload.

Im sure yours has them too....

Back