Fermenter Without Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florian

Back On Track
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have done a google search and also a forum search but have not come across an answer for my question, although I suspect that I might not be the only one who stumbled over this issue.

I'm about to start my first brew on the weekend. I bought a cheap Brigalow starter kit for only $36 at Kmart, mainly to get a half decent fermenter and tap etc.

I have a 50l esky which the fermenter fits perfectly in, so it should be easier to control the temperature in the Brissy heat. My only problem is: The esky is just big enough for the fermenter, but not for the airlock.

Do I really need the airlock or are there other ways. I could obviously attach a hose and let it run through a water bucket, but given the limited space in the esky I rather see if there is another option.

Would appreciate any input you guys have.

Thanks,
Florian

Cling wrap across the top, held down by the rubber seal that came with the lid, is a very common and effective solution.

The method you've described is a blow off tube, works well and easy to set up.

Otherwise ditch the lid and use glad wrap across the top of the fermenter. Secure this with the large o-ring from the lid. Plenty of people on here do it and it works well.

Just a note, make sure you have enough room in the esky to add something cold (ice brick etc). As the esky alone will simply help trap the heat generated by fermentation.

Cheers SJ

doh! beaten by a faster typer!

Cling wrap across the top, held down by the rubber seal that came with the lid, is a very common and effective solution.

This.

This is all I do nowadays. You can see the krausen start and die off and it's cool to see the fermentation process! ;)

Wow, can't believe how fast you guys are! Three replies in five minutes after posting, never had that in any forum.

Ok, so no lid, but just glad wrap instead, fixed by the O ring. Do I need to pierce the glad wrap so CO2 can escape?

Should still have just enough space for some ice bricks.

Wow, can't believe how fats you guys are! Three replies in five minutes after posting, never had that in any forum.

Ok, so no lid, but just glad wrap instead, fixed by the O ring. Do I need to pierce the glad wrap so CO2 can escape?

Nah it's not an airlock seal so no holes required.

Wow, can't believe how fats you guys are! Three replies in five minutes after posting, never had that in any forum.

We do not use the same fermenters in the USA.

So if the plastic wrap is one piece and it covers the entire opening and the o-ring acts like a rubber band sealing it off then yes poke a hole in it with a pin or it will pop like a overfilled balloon.

No need to prick a hole in my experience.

We do not use the same fermenters in the USA.

So if the plastic wrap is one piece and it covers the entire opening and the o-ring acts like a rubber band sealing it off then yes poke a hole in it with a pin or it will pop like a overfilled balloon.

Way to burst his bubble dude :lol:

Hahahaha I couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

mmmhh... am wondering how the CO2 will escape if everything is sealed of with glad wrap and rubber ring. Is the wrap that permeable? Anyway, will try it out without a hole and keep a close eye, so i can poke a hole if the wrap is about to burst.

Thanks for all your input, loving this forum already.

It sneaks out the side under the rubber band!

+ 1 for clingwrap (double layer), no hole.

i've done some 20 brews with this method and have not yet have overflow. even with a 26 litre wheatbeer where the krausen hit the underside of the clingwrap.

better view of what's going on, less to sanitise and no concerns about "my airlock isn't bubbling" - just do it, mate.

+1 for the clingwrap. The CO2 will have no problems getting out.

No air will get in un less the pressure outside is higher than inside... Or something like that. I read here once about that the calculated pressure to make an airlock bubble. Pressures that probably don't require worrying about. :huh:

i did my first ginger beer with this method about 3 weeks ago, worked great and i was able to smell the fermenting process alot better than sniffing at the airlock.

Yeah i'm keen to give this a go with my primary fermentation, I always use glad wrap for secondary but never for primary.

Hate it once the lid of my fermenter fogs up and you cant see whats going on.

Hi there, I am trying clingwrap and elastic bands on my new $16 bunnings water drum, and it is day 6 of a Cascade Imperial Voyage pale ale kit, plus LME/dex/cornsyrup, plus hops teabaggy.
I did in fact pierce the glad wrap with a pin (it was before I read this helpful post...).
When I go near to it (to obsessively check temperature and gaze lovingly...) I catch an eggy whiff. Surely it is not infected??? :(

Back