Fermenter to Keg Carbonation Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs8888

Reaction score
Hi everyone, when transferring beer to the keg does the keg have to be primes with sugar for carbonation as does bottles? or is it just a matter of hooking up C02 and waiting 10 -14 days for it to occur?
Does the type of beer change anything?

Thankyou in advance. :)

chill & hook up at serving pressure for 4-5 days and your good to go
If you want to carbonate with sugar then leave at fermenting temp for 10-14 days but you will still have to pressurise the keg until carbonation has gotten well under way to seal the lid.

chill & hook up at serving pressure for 4-5 days and your good to go
If you want to carbonate with sugar then leave at fermenting temp for 10-14 days but you will still have to pressurise the keg until carbonation has gotten well under way to seal the lid.
Thankyou

2-3 days will usually be enough. You shouldn’t need to pressurise the keg unless your lid doesn’t seal properly. Are you using old kegs with poor seals or worn keg lid feet?

2-3 days will usually be enough. You shouldn’t need to pressurise the keg unless your lid doesn’t seal properly. Are you using old kegs with poor seals or worn keg lid feet?
No just a query im getting setup and will be buying new kegs.

No just a query im getting setup and will be buying new kegs.
The question was aimed a coalminer who said “you will still have to pressurise the keg until carbonation has gotten well under way to seal the lid”.

That is true sometimes if using old and worn kegs that don’t seal properly without a bit of forced co2 pressure.

If you are getting new kegs they should seal and carbonate just fine after priming with sugar and no need to pressurise first with co2.

Carbonated this keg with sugar for a natural carbonation, I didn't ferment in the keg, just transferred from my fermenter.
004.JPG

Sorry did not notice the question mark.
I only carbonate with gas at serving pressure but I recollect seeing that comment about initial pressure build up in the past by others.

Sorry did not notice the question mark.
I only carbonate with gas at serving pressure but I recollect seeing that comment about initial pressure build up in the past by others.
The lid should seal enough without pressure. If not the little plastic feet and/or seal can become worn through use so try replacing them or use a spacer between the keg and lid feet to pull the lid up tighter especially if you have the older race track type lid.

If you have the oval corny keg lids, they are cheap these days so might as well just replace the whole lid.

Back