Fermenter Taps (older Style)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
The older fermenters , 30lt , Coopers had them for a while

The taps did not screw in but had a backing nut , anyone know where to buy these?

The taps I mean

the only place i've seen them is on this website

www.Liquorcraft.com.au

cheers
crackers

Batz

I've bought taps similar to this from Grumpys

Cheers
MAH

tap.jpg

Batz

If the tap MAH has shown is what you're after then they have some at my local HBS. I will find out how much they are.

Hoops

Hi Batz,
I got that style of tap from Grumpys a while ago.
There is one problem though if you fit them in a standard plastic fermenter, and that is that you cant stand the fermenter and tap assembly flat on a surface unless you let the tap hang over the side.
In other words when it is fitted in the standard existing hole the spigot on the tap extends below the bottom of the fermenter.
I hope this helps you,
Cheers

dicko said:
There is one problem though if you fit them in a standard plastic fermenter, and that is that you cant stand the fermenter and tap assembly flat on a surface unless you let the tap hang over the side.
In other words when it is fitted in the standard existing hole the spigot on the tap extends below the bottom of the fermenter.
Could you just cut a bit off the bottom of the tap?

I have those taps, sell a couple every month to people with the older style Coopers fermentersand the above post shows why.

Jovial Monk

I have an old coopers fermenter with lock nut tap. The central part of the tap can be rotated without rotating the actual fitting, so I just turn the spigot 90 degrees until I want to actually use it.

I have one on my bucket in bucket mash/lauter tun. Like GL's, mine just pivots 90degrees to get the tap out of the way. No problem.

The other problem is that the nut on the inside wants to screw up against something flat to make a good seal, whereas the inside of a tun/fermenter is curved. You can put a squishy washer in there to help but there isn't much thread on mine so it's a bit of a compromise on washer thickness. Mine leaks a tiny puddle over a course of a mash which is not really a problem but you might need a better strategy if you used one on a fermenter.

Oh and the other thing is I haven't figured out how to take it apart yet. Again OK on the tun because everything gets boiled afterwards but on a fermenter, it might be a problem.

Back