Fermenter Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko72

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Can anyone think of a reason why this tap wouldn't be appropriate on fermenters and cube?
The standard taps are constently unscrewing on me when opening.

http://www.supercheaphardware.com.au/tap-k...;utm_medium=cpc
dsc_6190.jpg

I can't quite tell from the picture, but can you fit a hose over the end to drain to the bottom of a keg without splashing?

It looks like the outlet is angled a bit which could make it hard to put a house on it.

And...does the inside diametre suit a bottling wand for bottling?

I can't quite tell from the picture, but can you fit a hose over the end to drain to the bottom of a keg without splashing?

It looks like the outlet is angled a bit which could make it hard to put a house on it.

And...does the inside diametre suit a bottling wand for bottling?

Good questions! Hmmm...
Can you put a hose on the snap taps?

The ones from Bunnings are only a couple of bucks and they work fine on the BMW Plastics cubes & barrels. They also have a largetr spout than yours appears to have, so you can slip a decent portion of hose over them.

Snap Taps

i'd recommend one of these as they are made to disassemble, makes cleaning/sanitation easier.

The ones from Bunnings are only a couple of bucks and they work fine on the BMW Plastics cubes & barrels. They also have a largetr spout than yours appears to have, so you can slip a decent portion of hose over them.

Is the tap opening mechanism different to this?
fermenter_tap_.png

Looks the same as the ones I got from Bunnings and take the Coopers bottling wand no problem. I take mine apart for cleaning and not had any leaks so far. They are nearly cheap enough to replace every brew.

Looks the same as the ones I got from Bunnings and take the Coopers bottling wand no problem. I take mine apart for cleaning and not had any leaks so far. They are nearly cheap enough to replace every brew.

Thanks. Will check them out. Perhaps the ones I have are a bit worn out.
Almost every time I turn them off they start to unscrew.

No mate wrong way round when you turn them on they tend to unscrew turn them off tightens them.
Suggest you lube them when you take them apart seems to work I use spray olive oil (no infections yet) because I don't have any keg lube.

Edit: forget that you are correct turning them on unscrews them I got my left hand threads mixed up.

Might sound silly but how do they come apart. I've never even thought they could. And I think mine unscrews the same way you turn the taP off too but I don't have the unscrewing problem.

Yeh you are right got my hands mixed up clockwise unscrews.

You need something like a dowel to fit inside the tap and give it a hit and the tap comes apart turn the tap 90 degrees before applying force seems to come apart easier.

You need something like a dowel to fit inside the tap and give it a hit and the tap comes apart turn the tap 90 degrees before applying force seems to come apart easier.
Now I know they come apart I will lube 'em up! Thanks! :D

Now I know they come apart I will lube 'em up! Thanks! :D

Hi D!CKO

Good name by the way :D

When you pull them apart drop the two parts in some boiling water for a few minutes and then apply some lube to the inner part of the tap.
Reassemble the tap immediately after lubing and while it is still hot screw it into a pre cleaned and sanitsed fermenter and you will find it will screw in tightly and not turn when opening the tap.
DO NOT screw it in to a fermenter that is hot from sanitising with boiling water because if you do you may easily strip the thread. I clean and sanitise with starsan so the frementer body is cold when I refit the tap.

This has been my procedure for years wiyhout any problems with taps turning or leaking

Hope it helps

Cheers

This has been my procedure for years wiyhout any problems with taps turning or leaking

Hi dicko :)

I have to say I didn't expect to learn so much about a fermenter tap!
Good tips from all.

Thanks again folks.

Cheers

The other D!CKO ;)

I have a snap tap, and fill into kegs..

I love that the snap tap never undoes when opening ( I tried the hot turn tap and cold fermenter thing many times - didn't help me)

however my keg fill connector tube sometimes slides off of the snap tap... I used to be able to do other things when filling a keg but with the tapered spout of the snap tap I have to hover and watch it doesnt' pop off.

anyone got a simple snaptap to keg tube that is reliable?

I'm seeing me about go down the route of a ball valve off of the fermenter so I can use a push-fitting for JG tube...

ideas?

I have a snap tap, and fill into kegs..

I love that the snap tap never undoes when opening ( I tried the hot turn tap and cold fermenter thing many times - didn't help me)

however my keg fill connector tube sometimes slides off of the snap tap... I used to be able to do other things when filling a keg but with the tapered spout of the snap tap I have to hover and watch it doesnt' pop off.

anyone got a simple snaptap to keg tube that is reliable?

I'm seeing me about go down the route of a ball valve off of the fermenter so I can use a push-fitting for JG tube...

ideas?

Hi pfs,

The lube is the important part, without it the tap will still be tight to turn once it cools.

The other thing that I have noticrd over many years of brewing is that the black taps don't respond to any fix.
Years ago all fermenters came with a black tap and imo they were crap.

If you go the ball valve route then all you need is a barb to push the hose on and a 90 deg bend if you think one is necessary.

Which ever way you go you will still need to pull the tap apart for cleaning, and yes I agree that the snap taps are good except for the tapered outlet which allows the hose to slip off = beer everywhere :angry:

Cheers

Back