Fermenter Tap Lube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slurpdog

Reaction score
Hi All

Read a few posts on food grade lube for fermenter O rings but what I really need to know is what would be the safest stuff to use to lube my taps, and where would I get it?
I've just started taking my taps apart for cleaning and when they go back together they are hideously stiff to turn :angry: .
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Slurpdog

keg lube - i sell it - let me know if you want a quote.

U can use KY... But i will leave that here. :)

Another good option KR4.
Where do you get it from?

Hi Slurpdog,
Exactly the same problem I had when I started breaking my taps apart for cleaning.
All I do is put one single drop of vegetable oil, or olive oil (whatevers in the cupboard at the time) on the male part of the tap and bang it back in. I also do this for the fermenter lid o ring.
It hasen't had any adverse effects on the beer so far.
Works for me
Cheers Peter

keg lube - i sell it - let me know if you want a quote.

U can use KY... But i will leave that here. :)

How much is Keg Lube Kenny?

Batz

Apart from the Food Grade lube that is used on kegging gear (Skerra) I would have thought that cooking or Olive oil would have an adverse effect on foam structure & head retention. As for taking taps apart for cleaning, why bother? They are only $1.46 at Bunnings! How much is your time worth?
Two cents that I can't claim as a Tax deduction.
James

Good point, How about a fermentor tap bulk buy? Should they be snap taps or the twist variety? I will start a poll in the Bulk Buy section.
James

Hi All

Read a few posts on food grade lube for fermenter O rings but what I really need to know is what would be the safest stuff to use to lube my taps, and where would I get it?
I've just started taking my taps apart for cleaning and when they go back together they are hideously stiff to turn :angry: .
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Slurpdog

Keg lube is what i use for taps.
I pull mine apart after each use and soak in sanitiser.
When it is time to use it again, I apply a small smear of keg lube to the male part of the tap and drop into a 1 litre plastic jug.
I then pour a couple of hundred mls of boiling water from the kettle onto the tap. I leave it for a minute or so, then bang it back together and it works better than a new one.
I find that you dont need to apply keg lube every time as the tap retains some lube as residual and as such I just rinse with the boiling water and re assemble and use.
A tube of keg lube would last a lifetime if used for taps only.
I will be leaving my tube to the grandsons in my will. :lol:

Apart from the Food Grade lube that is used on kegging gear (Skerra) I would have thought that cooking or Olive oil would have an adverse effect on foam structure & head retention. As for taking taps apart for cleaning, why bother? They are only $1.46 at Bunnings! How much is your time worth?
Two cents that I can't claim as a Tax deduction.
James
I think I'm with you on this one Jim.
I looked at the cooking oil when I first put the tap together as an immediate answer but I too thought that it might affect flavour and head retention.
Slurpdog

My main trouble is getting the tap apart initially. Does any body else have this problem and is there any way of making this easier.

Note: I am aware of the thread by Finite regarding taking them apart but this tends to result in damaging the outlet.

Sloth.

My main trouble is getting the tap apart initially. Does any body else have this problem and is there any way of making this easier.

Note: I am aware of the thread by Finite regarding taking them apart but this tends to result in damaging the outlet.

Sloth.
Sloth
That's the thread where I got my info from as well. The first time is the hardest and I've modified the technique a little.
Instead of placing the outlet onto the edge of a bench, I hold it the other way round with outlet supported between my index and middle finger and the rest of my hand holding the spoon inside the tap (so the spoon protrudes from the bottom fo your hand).
I then ram the spoon onto the table so the tap comes up and out. Easy

Cheers Slurpdog,

Upon re-reading the thread I noticed Dicko mentions placing the tap in boilling water to make it easier as well.

Sloth.

Here's a burst I wrote several months ago on the very subject. Slightly different to Finite's procedure.

As for the tap. I now pull all mine apart after every brew to clean. To do this you will need a short length (10-15 cm) of 10mm (3/8") dowel or similar. Position the tap so that the rotating part of the tap is at midway travel ie. not on and not off. Place the dowel inside tap. Wrap forefinger over spout, wrap little finger around dowel for stability and firmly bang the exposed end of the dowel on a firm surface. I use the kitchen bench. It may take a few hits to work out how much force is required - but don't use all your force first up - the little finger does not appreciate this! To reassemble, simply place the rotating part into the barrel - aligned as before and tap the rotating part back into the barrell. I find that I don't need as much force to reassemble as I do for disassembly.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve, will be given it a go cause I keep getting paranoid and replacing my taps quite often.

Sloth.

OK - just got teh price on keg lube - comes in a 40gm tube.
Cost is 12.50 per tube + Freight.

PM me if u want some.

Latest posts

Back