Fermenter Tap - leaking

• Thread starter Brewnicorn
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony121 said:
Haynes Lubrifilm Plus Like the others have mentioned. My tap leaked from the stem so I bought another one - which proceeded to leak. Bit of lube and have not had an issue since.

Oh yes, I go through it like you wouldn't believe!
The lube came in handy too when I had to service my kitchen sink spout - it wouldn't spin. Pulled it apart, re-lubed o-rings, all good.

It's surprising how well it works. I am a fridgie by trade and using appropriate type of lubricant on seals, valves, etc. saves a hell of a lot of hassle in the long run.

Might give that a go once this current batch is emptied into a keg and surplus bottles. Would keg lube work for it because that's about all I've got at the moment?

Bunnings have suitable replacement taps in their camping/outdoors section for around $2-$3.

I can't tell you how helpful this blog is for the basics as well as the more I depth stuff. I take my hat off to you. Us newbies are lucky to have you all! :)

peteru said:
Bunnings have suitable replacement taps in their camping/outdoors section for around $2-$3.
That's where I got mine when my first one leaked from the barrel/stem. That then started to leak from the same spot after the first use. Got the shits with it, bashed it apart, cleaned, lubed & reassembled. Hasn't missed a beat since, though I repeat this process every two or three brews.

Tony121 said:
That's where I got mine when my first one leaked from the barrel/stem. That then started to leak from the same spot after the first use. Got the shits with it, bashed it apart, cleaned, lubed & reassembled. Hasn't missed a beat since, though I repeat this process every two or three brews.
Again with the lube. Obsessed.

Just don't rub him up the wrong way or he might lube you next...

**Insert inappropriate comment here**

Learnt my lesson the other week so will keep quiet on this one, other than saying don't knock it till you try it - lube is your friend

use a new tap.
tip it on it's side remove and replace i quite often try a few taps before i get one that seems to screw in tight enough
no big issue they are about 2 bucks new

Back