Fermenter Tap - leaking

• Thread starter Brewnicorn
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brewnicorn

Hi all,

Quick query, a new fermenter 30l plastic from brewcraft/liquorcraft has developed a small leak (its 6 weeks old, holding its 2nd brew currently). The tap is in as tight as I'd dare make it without busting the thread and it's leaking around the join/washer.

1 It's a bit cheap, disappointing
2 any ideas? Anyone added additional washers or different taps/stainless steel threads or the like as a standard fit to get by this issue?

Grateful for any tips. Also happy to take the item back but just seeing how common this is.

Thanks all!

Brewnicorn.

It happens and could be your fermenter too if so tight. You could use thread tape, just make sure you sanitse the tape too.

I replace my taps every so often, either throw them away or use them for something where a slow drip doesn't matter eg. cube of star san

Edit: if you want to replace at any point bunnings be cheaper than brewcraft (anybody be cheaper than brewcraft)
https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-20mm-drum-tap_p3241518

Lubricating the seal can help it settle into place. If that does not help, talk to the shop. It could just be a single bad bucket / tap. I don't think it's a common problem. Out of the 5+ fermenters I've had, the problems were either a split o-ring or the tap assembly itself slowly seeping. Both of those problems took years to exhibit.

Yeah, check that washer/seal next time it's off. Might be cracked/damaged. My old fermenter needed to be overtightened to make the seal, no problems so far with 2 new fermenters.

I bought some o-rings from a popular hardware store chain recently and I find them much better than the rings you get with the taps. I am able to get the tap a lot tighter as the round section seems to squash better, so now I can get a good seal without having the tap pointing up in the air.

Keg lube on seal. I also lube the internals after breaking apart and cleaning.

Tony121 said:
Thanks Tony - What kind of lube?

P!N20 said:
I bought some o-rings from a popular hardware store chain recently and I find them much better than the rings you get with the taps. I am able to get the tap a lot tighter as the round section seems to squash better, so now I can get a good seal without having the tap pointing up in the air.
I learnt the hard way that this isn't ideal - I left exposed and it ended up filling with all sorts of shit before the ferment was done. It was dicey when time came to transfer, gave it a good clean and sanitise but I reckon the beer isn't quite the same as a result.

Tony121 said:
You're clearly a man who enjoys using a bit of lube.

Haynes Lubrifilm Plus works well and is inexpensive when you get a big tube of eBay. Inox mx6 is also a good alternative and you can pick it up from AutoOne stores.

peteru said:
Haynes Lubrifilm Plus works well and is inexpensive when you get a big tube of eBay. Inox mx6 is also a good alternative and you can pick it up from AutoOne stores.
Anyone who stocks keg king gear can get this lube
http://kegking.com.au/misc-plumbing-fittings/brewing-fittings/food-grade-lubricant-hayes-lubri-film-plus-28g.html
For some silly reason I was figuring out the price breaks buying this at bulk
For instance, a 400lb drum costs $3361.65 USD
To buy 400lb worth in the 28g tubes that KK sells, it would cost $25595.57 AUD...

Brewnicorn said:
Thanks Tony - What kind of lube?

Haynes Lubrifilm Plus Like the others have mentioned. My tap leaked from the stem so I bought another one - which proceeded to leak. Bit of lube and have not had an issue since.

pcqypcqy said:
You're clearly a man who enjoys using a bit of lube.
Oh yes, I go through it like you wouldn't believe!

Awesome guys. Thanks very much. The store have offered to take a look and replace the tap. I gave it a quarter turn tonight to see if that sorted it, started pissing out - half turn back the other way same result. Found a happy medium and made tonight bottle day - but can't say I was pleased to drop half a litre of beer on the garage floor. :-/

I've had the same issue with those taps on my fermenter except they don't leak through the thread/o-ring part, they leak further down, i.e. the outlet section leaks when it's closed. It probably only loses about 5mL over the course of a fermentation but it's ******* annoying having to wipe the brew fridge floor of this mess every time. Any ideas? Just buy new taps or can something else be done to fix them?

Assume you break it down to clean, just lube it all up before reassembling.

Latest posts

Back