Fermenter Stained

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
I have a coopers fermenter that has been used about 50 times since new, recently I have noticed that the plastic is stained in area's around the sides.

I sanitize sanitize sanitize like crazy and without using anything harsh to scrub it off, it won't remove and I've tried several things.

Apart from buying a new one, has anyone had this and found a solution?

Have you thrown nappi san in it and left it for a week?

Get the un-scented one from Aldi, otherwise any other un-scented one. I just throw 1 cupful in and fill it up, chuck your lid one and forget. You may find overnight is enough to remove most of it. You can also leave them full of the mix between uses to stop any nasties growing in there too. A good rinse, then a hit with your favorite sanatiser and your ready to go.

QldKev

Mine is soaking in Aldi Napi san as i type

$2.50 for a kilo tub

i have undies like that.
put them on they still work.
same as your fermenter, stain wont hurt, think of it as a wok,well seasoned.

i have undies like that.
put them on they still work.
same as your fermenter, stain wont hurt, think of it as a wok,well seasoned.

Throw the undies in the fermenter and you could have both cleaned at the same time :super:

Works great on volleys as well, brings them up snowy.
Pratty, if you can track down a catering/cleaning supplier that does sacks of Sodium Percarbonate you can get it for far less bang for buck than the nappy products which are only about 30% pure.

The pure stuff is a monster, but at around $90 a sack you'd need to go in with other brewers. I've been in a couple of bulk buys in QLD but the stuff is awesome and a quarter sack will last you a couple of years.

edit: I use it for anything that napisan is good for, hop bags, biab bags, no chill cubes, urn etc - even soak a keg overnight to bring it up virginal inside, a lot of it even ends up in the laundry operations where napisan just can't cut it.

Mine's a bit stained - seen about 7 years of good use and about 70 or so brews.
Still works.

Mine's a bit stained - seen about 7 years of good use and about 70 or so brews.
Still works.

After 6 years and 80 odd brews, mine went into the recycle bin when I couldn't be arsed cleaning it any more.

That's not "stain". It's a biofilm you repeatedly kill the inhabitants of. Hopefully.

Having recently gone through the exercise of trying to remove stains etc from fermenters, nappisan or sodium perc didn't work so I removed them with a phosphoric acid based cleaner I bought from here; Able Westchem about $40 for 5L. Mixed it up 4:1 and laid the fermenter on the side and rotated every few hours and scrubbed with an (unused) toilet brush where the acid had been in contact. Came up great. I didn't take photos but I did take photos of my kettle I cleaned with the same product;

Before
20121205_183401.jpg 20121205_183432.jpg

After;
20121205_184513.jpg 20121205_184533.jpg

No affiliation, yadda yadda.

If you happen to use Iodophor as a sanitiser it also tends to stain plastic fermenters a brown colour.

ok i will got with some ALDI nappisan non scented and see how that goes. cheers Qld Kev

Biofilm.....damn....ok now i really want to clean my fermenter.....got 2 weeks till the next calender brew date with SWMBO.

bribie, that sounds good but right now i will go with aldi and keep that in mind.

p.s throwing the undies in for a good clean too.....lol

A little bleach, and fill with water and let it soak overnight

I tend to do 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of napisan, fill up with hot water, and leave overnight...

I'm doing this been every batch. Doesn't seem to be a problem and keeps them looking spotless...

Good news, I went with a half cup of napisan unscented with warm water filled right up and left it for 6 days and the 'biofilm' is gone.

It looked heaps cleaner after a day or two. Rinsed it out with hot water and will sanitize it tomorrow night before I use it.

Top stuff.

Latest posts

Back