Fermenter Smells Fruity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ads7

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Last night after cleaning my fermenter with smbs I noticed it smelt fruity. Did I not clean it properly or does the plastic absorb some of the flavour. I put a batch down in it last night, will it go bad?

Thanks

Ads

Give it a good soak after this brew, use 1/2 L of unscented bleach and top up to the rim. ....plastic can cary nasty bacteria in fine scratches, or around the tap and thread if not scrubbed properly after every brew..sometimes I have been lazy and not cleaned my fermenters immediately after racking,they do develop a fruity smell as you described....be sure to rinse with hot water to wash out the bleach after soaking. Do not place any rubber bits like seals or bungs in bleach for moe than 30min.

Cheers

Thank you

I thought i was quite effective at cleaning my fermenters. I will try harder.

Ads

Don't be to concerned. My fermenters almost always smell fruity since i put down a ginger beer. I clean them well and sanitise them well and the smell is perpetually there.

Will

Plastic fermenters do develop an aroma. I find the smell is removed pretty well if I soak them with sodium percarbonate (nappy soaker) for 24 hours. Avoid scented cleaners. No Frills/No Name are good.

I keep a dedicated fermentor for ginger beer.

Other than that, I suggest cleaning as mentioned above and/or airing to vent the unwanted aromas.

Seth

Does red wine stink up plastic fermenters ? I have just put down some merlot for the girl, hope I have not sacrificed my a good fermenter...

Cheers

Latest posts

Back