Fermenter Poll: Glass V. Plastic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you use??

• Glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plastic

• Both

• Other

• Total voters

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
ive got two plastic and am considering getting a glass one to lager/age in...maybe.
joe

plastic , cheap, easy to find / buy.... and bounces better than glass :)
(important to me as i cant afford a new glass one each month )

oh and lighter

What is the Advantage with Glass ?

I am about to buy another fermenter so this will come in handy

The Frog

would love a glass fermenter so i could watch the action side on. :)

glass is clear so you see more, also better with long storage and O2 getting at Mr lager
...... still smashes though :(

plastic fantastic for me. Can't be stuffed with carboys and that syphoning game ... and the breakage/weight woudl be a negative too.

Yet to find a negative for plastic :)

Im hooked on the plastic bucket style fermenters. Easy to clean, move and store.

I do the primary fermentation in a plastic bucket then rack to a glass carboy for secondary fermentation. Once secondary fermentation/lagering is complete I drop the temperature of my fermenting fridge which drops all the yeast to the bottom and clears the beer very well, then rack to kegs.

datfrog
the advantage of glass is that when in the secondary for an exented period of time the surface area is very small and reduces the chance of oxidation. I find it is also great to be able to see what is going on with the beer, it is very easy to see how the yeast is going.

Hoops

30l plastics here too...
- easy to lift in/out of chest freezer
- cheap

no one has mentioned Stainless Steel yet....
I dream often of a SS Cylindroconical

Asher for now

Asher said:
no one has mentioned Stainless Steel yet....
I dream often of a SS Cylindroconical
I am getting some final quotes on making my SS conical. Looks like it could be a goer. :)

I have seen some of the "ferminators" in my LHBS in Toowoomba. The 50L retails for $1400 though :( :angry:

$1400 :(
probably cheaper to freight it in yourself.
or make one as per hoops.
toledo metal spinning in the usa does all the sections spun up and are fairly cheap.
buy all the fittings from any us hbs that sells the stuff and your away.freight pending of coarse. ;)

cheers
big d

I emailed a couple of places and from memory I was quoted about U$600 freight!!! :blink: so I gave up that idea pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back