Fermenter 'o' Rings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of 5 screw top 30lt fermenters

Out of these two do not seal at the 'O' ring , now I know this is not a problem

BUT I have read on the Coopers site that it is possiable to buy 'white' softer "O" rings to fit that will correct the problem.

Has anyone found these ? Anyone tried them ?

I know , I know , It not a problem batz , and I have been using them for ages , but I do like to hear that "bloop..bloop" noise

Batz said:

BUT I have read on the Coopers site that it is possiable to buy 'white' softer "O" rings to fit that will correct the problem.

I know , I know , It not a problem batz , and I have been using them for ages , but I do like to hear that "bloop..bloop" noise
Its not a problem batz :D
Seriously though, if you REALLY like the bloop, bloop, you could try some "keg lube" on the old seals. Might help to create a better seal.
D

Batz said:

I've got a couple that were given to me. They are coopers branded and can be bought at the supermarket.
They come in a "seal replacement" kit, with the white o-ring, two grommets for the airlock, and a tap seal.

Oh yeah, and on the leaky seal not being a problem, i currently have a brew fermenting, and spilt a bit of wort around the thread of the lid, this has since become a major mould growth - if the seal didn't seal that well, wouldn't this be an infection risk? I realise that the pressure would push out any airborn contaminents, but what about a growth?

I too like the 'bloop bloop' so I can understand your distress :) unfortunately I have not seen these (not that I have been looking)

I think Batz you need to......

........DEAL WITH IT!

Broretrosexualgrandmasterkenny

Hey Batz, I have 3 fermenters, one black seal and two white. I find the white ones absolutely give a better seal, and have found the black ones can allow wort to slosh out under the lip when giving the fermenter a swirl to aerate. Seems that most 30l white plastic fermenters have a cut in the thread of the screw(A flat area on the thread), and this is where it seems to allow the wort and pressure to escape.

I'll be getting a white replacement seal for the black one in due time.

My fermenters seal too well. I've got two fermenters sitting around that i can't get the lids off of without damaging them. What do you guys use for lube...ky :)

it probably would be the way to go. It just seems so wrong. Sex and Beer do not mix.

Sex and Beer do not mix.

are you entirely serious? :p

Hi Batz,
I recon the white o rings are softer and seal better than the black ones.
I dont have any trouble with either as I use "Armour-all" on my o rings and they seal a lot better.
Cheers

;)
just a smear of vasilene around the top of the fermenter will help..
also....run a kettle full of boiling water over the neck of the empty fermenter to help loosen it....believe me.it works..

I mostly use glad wrap on my fermenters and use the rubber ring like a rubber band stretched over the neck to keep it in place.....put a pin hole in the glad wrap and you can see the yeast working....

Cheers
JWB :chug:

Back