Fermenter King Jr - review or feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know what the effects of leaving a kit open without yeast
I was not going to leave it open, I was going to keep in 2nd Junior, under pressure with CO2, add yeast when ready to go into Fermenting fridge, it would the same as storing beer in a keg, just not carbonated - isn't that cubing or have I got the wrong terminology.

I understand its under C02 but I would still be scared that it would get infected during the transfer etc.

I haven't tried cubing but I believe you do that with hot wort and then seal the cube with no air.

Why would do you need to do that anyway, can't you just make up the one kit or are you using two different extract cans?

Does anyone know why there is the outlet part near the neck with the small bung? I recently bought two and keen to try them for small batch ferments and also as kegs.
They are also used as one way kegs in the commercial environment, and the outlet you're talking about houses a pressure relief valve.

Hot cubing: 90c+ wort is poured into the cube, the cube is squeezed to remove any air and sealed, it is then inverted and rolled around so that all surfaces come into contact with the hot wort, this pasteurises the container (similar to sanitised, not to be confused with sterilised)
This can't be done with a PET container because it will melt with the heat, cubes are made from HDPE.
CO2, under pressure or not, offers NO protection against infection, air in the wort will support aerobic bacteria, and anaerobic bacteria will survive in an oxygen free environment.
Broadly speaking pasteurisation is 72c for 15sec's, there's a relationship between time and temp however it needs to be way above 50c which is the max temp for PET.
Don't forget that the air we breath is full of bacteria, one of the more common causes of infection is new brewers opening the fermenter for "a quick look" and exhaling.

I was not going to transfer, I am planning on having 2 vessels, the one waiting to be fermented, will have co2 in it, and pressurised, would that be ok. ? Same as storing beer after? but if no good as grmblz says I wont bother, So you are saying this is no good for storing beer, wouldnt the same rules apply - unless once its alcohol has less chance of infection, thanks

Wort and beer are two very different things, wort is chock full of nutrients and sugars, this is what the yeast uses during fermentation, beer has very little by comparison (the yeast has used it) this is oversimplified, alcohol plays a role as does hops, and many other things, but I think you get the gist of why it's a bad idea.
Next time you do a brew half fill a sanitised bottle with wort before adding any yeast, plug it with cotton wool (do NOT cap it) and stick it on a shelf somewhere, watch the biology experiment

I was not going to transfer, I am planning on having 2 vessels, the one waiting to be fermented, will have co2 in it, and pressurised, would that be ok. ? Same as storing beer after? but if no good as grmblz says I wont bother, So you are saying this is no good for storing beer, wouldnt the same rules apply - unless once its alcohol has less chance of infection, thanks
Wort (unfermented beer) is a sugar rich, acceptable pH, alcohol free breeding ground for bacteria, wild yeast and other nasties.

Beer, is the fermenter version which has alcohol (inhibits infection), no oxygen (used up during fermentation), low pH (adjusted by the yeast during fermentation) and no sugars (eaten by the yeast)

Co2 in the fermenter will not make any difference as its been introduced to oxygen and had wild yeast and bacteria introduced by pouring it, or simply opening the kits.

You can't store wort that has been exposed to air, which is why cubing (hot cubing) is OK because it's at pasteurisation temps when placed in the cube and then sealed. Once it's open its game over.

The only way (practically) to have separate control of fridge and freezer is if it has two compressors,
Or 2 refrigerant metering devices (TX valve IR capillary, or electronic expansion valve).
Regardless, it is quite a stretch to get 1 machine to provide -18°c as well as +18°c to a +-2°c tolerance.

Welcome to the forum HT, no such thing as too many tradie's imho.
Refrigeration/temp control is key in our hobby, so hopefully you'll stick around and share your expertise.
Way too many reports of Chinese kegerators gurgling along, whilst whining and whirring at the slightest provocation.
Looking forward to seeing some of the questions you will probably get.

Sous vide! what would you like to know? I've got a bath, and a stick, been playing around with it for a couple of years now.

I have an interest in cooking, was a London Landlord many years ago, and guess who does the cooking when the chef phones in sick, so I did a condensed chef's course, never worked as a chef for a living but did my fair share in the kitchen, and it sort of grew on me, now retired I love doing arty, farty, chefy, stuff just to bewilder my friends and relo's.

To be honest I've found it a bit over-rated, especially with steak's, but if I can be of assistance fire away.

Cheers G

Does anyone know why there is the outlet part near the neck with the small bung? I recently bought two and keen to try them for small batch ferments and also as kegs.
We utilise a keg mold so that contains a PRV when A or D type valves are used.

Hi Trustyrusty

I bought a Fermzilla All Rounder from Kegland then a few days later won a national competition with iKegger and won a Fermenter King and other beer gear. Very lucky and extremely grateful. I had initial problems maintaining pressure with my Fermzilla and I troubleshooted through it until I seemed to have fixed the issue and it's holding pressure well.
I hadn't used my Fermenter King until yesterday when I tried my first fresh wort kit. OMG so easy but probably less fun for you hardened enthusiasts. Anyway, this morning checked the Fermenter King and the gauge on the spunding valve is reading zero, with little or no pressure from the pressure release valve but Krausen is off and running nicely. First observation is the Fermenter King seems to have too many bits that could potentially be failing. Obviously the carbonation caps is a possibility, which for the FK you have to assemble. There is also the thermowell and the pressure release valve assembly which could both be culprits. If I was a gambling person I would lay money on the PRV assembly.
I know this is an old post so you've probably made the right decision by now. Hope it's going well for you.

Hi Trustyrusty

I bought a Fermzilla All Rounder from Kegland then a few days later won a national competition with iKegger and won a Fermenter King and other beer gear. Very lucky and extremely grateful. I had initial problems maintaining pressure with my Fermzilla and I troubleshooted through it until I seemed to have fixed the issue and it's holding pressure well.
I hadn't used my Fermenter King until yesterday when I tried my first fresh wort kit. OMG so easy but probably less fun for you hardened enthusiasts. Anyway, this morning checked the Fermenter King and the gauge on the spunding valve is reading zero, with little or no pressure from the pressure release valve but Krausen is off and running nicely. First observation is the Fermenter King seems to have too many bits that could potentially be failing. Obviously the carbonation caps is a possibility, which for the FK you have to assemble. There is also the thermowell and the pressure release valve assembly which could both be culprits. If I was a gambling person I would lay money on the PRV assembly.
I know this is an old post so you've probably made the right decision by now. Hope it's going well for you.
Before you use something like this we would suggest using a small amount of lube on all the O-rings. They can dry out over a period of time. Are you using our spunding valve or a Spundit? If not then check that what you have is working right. As the fermentation is happening you should not have any oxygen ingress.

From the pictures and descriptions of the Fermenter King Junior, it looks like you need pressure from a gas tank to dispense the beer, whether by bottling, kegging or serving. Even if you pressure ferment or spund, the starting pressure won't be enough to empty the FKJ. Is that correct? Or are pumping or siphoning options?

Before you use something like this we would suggest using a small amount of lube on all the O-rings. They can dry out over a period of time. Are you using our spunding valve or a Spundit? If not then check that what you have is working right. As the fermentation is happening you should not have any oxygen ingress.
Hi, Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier. I use a spunding valve and it's working fine on my other kit. The lid that came with the fermenter king leaked from around the pressure release valve and no amount of lube fixed it. In the end, I purchased a replacement lid for a fermentasaurus and that works fine.

From the pictures and descriptions of the Fermenter King Junior, it looks like you need pressure from a gas tank to dispense the beer, whether by bottling, kegging or serving. Even if you pressure ferment or spund, the starting pressure won't be enough to empty the FKJ. Is that correct? Or are pumping or siphoning options?
Yes, that is correct. Pressure would drop to zero and I needed to gas it up to get it into the corny. All is well now because I purchased a replacement lid for a fermentasaurus and that works fine.

Latest posts

Back