Fermented Sun Screen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
While I was doing a few chores this afternoon my toddler decided she would squeeze a tub of sun screen into a fermenter I had just cleaned and was sitting with a weak bleach/water in it. On discovering her gingerley walking towards me holding an empty tube I just knew what she had done. :rolleyes:
I rinsed and wiped the fermenter out and have sat some hot water in it to try to get rid of the greasiness that the sun screen left behind but it just smells of the stuff and has a greasy film inside it.
Is it ruined? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the grease?

:(

You say used hot water, but what about detergent? It should lift it off.

jgriffin said:
You say used hot water, but what about detergent? It should lift it off.
[post="64647"][/post]​
I am out of bleach at the moment but am going to pick some up tomorrow, hopefully it will do the trick. If not I suppose it is ruined.

Get some detergent in there with hot water and give it a good rub down with a sponge. Do that a couple times and it might work.

ahh, kids dontcha lovem the little turds. :D

Caustic, Draino or the cheaper Mechanix brand. Lots of hot water, gloves and goggles.
Make sure small child is way out of the way.
Cheers
Gerard

Forget bleach etc, even some simple dishwashing or laundry powder should do. Most sunscreens contain a fair amount of oils, you need something to break up the surface tension of the oil, this is what detergents do.

Gerard_M said:
Caustic, Draino or the cheaper Mechanix brand. Lots of hot water, gloves and goggles.
Make sure small child is way out of the way.
Cheers
Gerard
[post="64685"][/post]​

Detergent for the fermenter.. draino for the kid B)

My 2 year old used to keep removing the airlock and bringing it to show me the bubbles...

Check the SPF first. You don't want it out there for too long. :D

Bilph said:
Check the SPF first. You don't want it out there for too long. :D
[post="64739"][/post]​

Thats one way to UV proof your fermenter! :lol:

And make sure you dont get it wet within 30 minutes of it eating, or something.

Youve got a 2 year old?

Napisan will do the trick.... a couple of tablespoons fulls in fermentor then fill to brim & loosley screw on lid.... leave 24 hours.... done

Asher for now

This is the last time I leave any of my brewing gear in the path of my little uns.

I will get stuck into it on the weekend, until then I just dont have the time but I am doing a stout on Sunday so it will have to be done by then. :chug:

Back