Fermentation !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy294

Reaction score
Well I have done my second brew its a coopers lager and I took some advise from reading the forum and I ditched the yeast that comes with it and I got myself a packet of us-05 yeast ( first time user )
I activated the yeast like the brew shop told me to ( put in cup with a bit of water cover let sit etc ) I had my brew tub sitting in a old fishing esky quarter filled with water to keep my brew at a lower temp .
So at the end before I added my yeast the temp strip was on about 22 celcius , so I added yeast in which at this stage was like a paste gave a bit of a mix around put the lid on and bubbler ( air lock ) now it's been approx 15hrs and nothing is happening . I checked temp this morning and it's sitting on about 22 still .
I noticed there is a few white tiny foam patches on top .
How long can it take for fermentation to start . This is first time I have used the us-05 yeast .

I just took lid off for a sneaky check and noticed a few little bubbles coming up , like little gas bubbles coming to service

You just need to leave it alone, don't keep taking the lid off or you risk all kinds of evil. You've followed the procedure correctly, there might not be bubbles because the lids not tight enough, as long as there is activity on the surface you're good.

:icon_cheers:

Like Logman said, just leave it alone
other than checking on the temp, leave it alone for atleast a week then come back and check if it had made any progress
The airlock is not an (reliable) indicator of fermentation, IGNORE IT
Have you got a hydrometer?

Latest posts

Back