Fermentation V Fishing.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all, i have abit of a dilema - i put down a brew on the weekend (late sunday arvo) - i get to work on Monday morning and get told that i am going to Darwin the following week. Not one to miss an opportunity i ring my mate in Northern capital and ask him what the tides and fish are doing and should i jump on an earlier flight than the one already booked for Monday, he says the tides are good get ya backside up here and we will hit the Adelaide River on Saturday and Sunday.

My dilema - if i catch the Friday afternoon flight to get some fishing in, my brew will either have to be ;

1) left in the current fermenter until i get back, in fermenter for 12 Days, i can get the wifey to turn down the temp control after 7- 8 days when bulk of the fermentation should complete - get home rack into cube and continue to chill at 1- 2 degrees for a week raise to 18 for a day or two then bottle. or

2) Transfer partially fermented wort into a cube after 4 days leave at 18 degress for a further 4 days days, then get the wifey to drop the temp to 1- 2 degrees and leave at these temps for about a week - then raise to 18 for a day or two, so as to complete fermentation then bottle.

My concern with 1 is leaving it on the yeast cake for to long and my concern with 2 is interupting fermentation to early and running the risk of having bottle bombs due to unfermented beer - not to mention poor attenuation.

Any advice would be well recieved - if the best option is 2 - i need to do it tomorrow afternoon.

I am really keen to go fishing.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

DB

Go fishing. You have temperature control over the fermenation. 12 days is not a problem at all.

I leave most of my beers for 7-10 days in primary, crash chill for 2-3 and then keg. 12 days won't be an issue at all, enjoy the fishing!

I'd let a batch get rotten for a 1m Barra.

OK - the easy option is sometimes the best! - leave in primary at 18 degrees for 12 days - no problem.

Yep - a metery would be great - id be happy to better the 87 cm i landed on the East Alligator on my last trip.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

:icon_cheers: ,

DB

Fishing. Beer will still be there when you get back. Tight lines. :)

On a home brew scale 12 days would be good for it. As long as you didn't pitch a heap of dead yeast cells in there, the beer will love it. Getting it of the yeast cake quickly is only really a big problem in commercial breweries where there is a lot of pressure on the yeast due to the large volumes squashing it. Don't worry go fishing.

It will be totally stuffed, drop it off to me and I will get rid of it for you while you go fishing.

Another vote for "leave it be" - very little can go wrong in a temp controlled fridge - and theres a fair chance the mythical "yeast cleaning up after themselves" thing might actually improve your beer.

My standard ale fermentation profile is 14 days at 17-18C, then 7 days at 1C, followed by 1 week carbonating in the keg...

It'll be fine. In fact it'll be great :)

Agree with all the above. Would be different if you had no temp control. My standard practice is anywhere upto 15 days in primrary. Let those yeasties clean up as much as possible.

Will probably be one of your clearest beers :)

My mate tells me that the fish are jumping in the boat on the Adelaide at the moment.

1 metre barras are average.

Apparently there is a 6M saltie (not sure how true this is) near the Arnhem Highway bridge, so any self respecting barra would probably prefer to be in a tinny.

My standard ale fermentation profile is 14 days at 17-18C, then 7 days at -1C, followed by 1 week carbonating in the keg...

sames, with one exception

fishing always beats fermentation. i love my fishing!

Apparently there is a 6M saltie (not sure how true this is) near the Arnhem Highway bridge, so any self respecting barra would probably prefer to be in a tinny.

Most folks reckon there is more than 1 saltie near the Arnhem Highway Bridge, doesn't stop people from waterskiing! :blink:

Back