Fermentation Temperature Control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
The question of temperature control during primary and secondary fermentation comes up time and time again .

I could not believe how simple the frozen plastic bottle of water was and how effective it was .

This 94 litre roller storage box from big W (about $16) are great I got all my brewing kit in various sizes and my grain in the big ones and can easy push it around.

These two batches of Calafornian Common are in secondary fermenters until I put them in the fridge to cc for a week.

Pumpy

The fridge has been great for largering and CC but a cheap way to start is the roller storage box.

I just put a frozen plastic bottle of water in the plastic storage box each morning and night to stop the fermentation process going too fast and getting those nasty flavours cant remember who said to do this think it was Pint of larger she always stressed the importance of temp control .

Pumpy

I found the best way is to buy a Grow Warm fan controller/ thermostat controller and run your old fridge at any temp you need. Bought from ESB ( no affilliation) best purchase Ive ever made, no ice bottles. Just run the probe into the fridge, plug the fridge into the thermostat controller set the temp on the dial and off you go. Temp range can be set from 0- 40 deg.

Die Sudhausanlage

Pumpy the storage box is exactly the way I have been doing it, with the frozen bottles and put away in the wardrobe. Cheapest at the moment till I can afford and get the room to get a fridge later on, particularly for lager which need the lower temps

Only thing is the missus had the box for storing her shoes in and she wasnt too happy when i tipped them out to put the fermenter in...lol

Pumpy

I'm pretty much the same. Got a 60l drum I inherited soemwhere. Fermeter fits in nicely. Add some water and put two frozen 2l soft drink bottles in morning and night.

I also put a dark T-Shirt over the fermentor which hangs in the water. The water wicks up the T-shirt and evaporates which gives soem more cooling action. Also the dark T-Shirt protects the beer from light which can cause skunky off flavours - (or so I'm told).

I also added some salt to the water in the bottles so they freeze down at a lower temp. Not sure if it works or not but I think the theory is sound.

I've been meaning to buy a cheap sleeping matt from Big W and wrap it around the drum to add some insulation - though it seems to work well enough without it.

cheers - Richard.

DS your right about the fridge but there is not enough room to keep all my batches I have been doing one a week for the last four weeks and what with klagering I have to have other options .

RodderZ and Richard at least I must be doing something right amazing what useful bits U can find in Big W .

Richard the t Shirt trick is good idea will give that a try .

Pumpy

Latest posts

Back