Fermentation Temp to high

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzPaleAle

Reaction score
I left a brew fermenting for 7 days (away from home), fermenting at somewhere around 35degC and funnily enough has the funny off taste I understand you get when it happens.
Is there any way to recover\scrub the off taste? They initial taste of the beer is good, it just has a funky after taste.

AFAIK there isn't anything you can do. Sometimes time will help a little, but not much. You need to get the temp control sorted, it's one of the most important factors in brewing.

My first brew 6 or 7 years ago fermented in the same fashion.

I did it only once, as I made myself drink the damn stuff, to remind myself that temperature control of fermentation is an essential element in brewing good beer.

Bummer, I bottled it anyway in the hope it might smooth out a bit, if not into the still it goes.

I recently did a mild ale at 32C (ambient GC summer) with US05 (reused trub) due to a 4 day powercut.

Tasted surprisingly drinkable. Very fruity, but no distinct harsh flavours or fusel alcohols. No competition winner though.

OG was 1.035. I'm not about to start brewing with US05 in the 30s ... but there's a lot more to making beer than just controlling ferment temp.

I dont have any temp control due to lack of adequate funding so my brews ferment at whatever temp my garage is, usually around the 22C mark but fluctuates between 18C and 28C. While ultimatley I would like to get a spare fridge for temp control I do like the fact that it forces me to brew with the seasons, ales in spring & autumn, lagers in winter and saisons in summer. As for off tastes I haven't noticed anything bad, I'm sure I could improve my beer with temp control but I'm certainly happy with the quality of the beer I'm making now (kicks butt over VB anyways...)

Search/Google "swamp cooler". While a fridge is desirable, it's not the only method of temp control. I did my first 10 or so brews this way, and for the most part they turned out well.

Back