Fermentation Temp Set Too Low

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hi All,
i mucked up last night (must have already been in snoozy land)
and put some mead in my fridge at 12 degrees instead of around 20.
I am about to go home and change it (lunch break).
Have i already fucked it up? Will it be ok?

This is surprisingly (considering how much i **** up) the first time i have set the fermentation temperature wrongly.

Unless an extensive amount of yest suffered thermal-shock when you pitched it, you're most likely going to be fine, if anything the yeast will be a little sluggish until you warm it up again. The other issue - of course - is the risk of infection since your yeast might not have been very active, but if your sanitation procedures were adequate that should be fine too.

Unless an extensive amount of yest suffered thermal-shock when you pitched it, you're most likely going to be fine, if anything the yeast will be a little sluggish until you warm it up again. The other issue - of course - is the risk of infection since your yeast might not have been very active, but if your sanitation procedures were adequate that should be fine too.

thanks wolfy, i was pretty clean, so fingers crossed.

You might want to shake it up a bit once it gets to the right temp to put any little yeasties that have dropped out back into suspension.

Latest posts

Back