Fermentation stripping hops from wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panzerd18

Reaction score
It amazes me that the wort can taste and smell super hoppy before pitching yeast, but then after fermentation has finished, a lot of the aroma, flavor and some bitterness has been lost.

I understand that some yeast work against the hops profile differently, however, is it inevitable that with fermentation, you will always lose some hops?

Aroma and flavour (of which 60% is aroma) can be driven off with the production of CO2 during fermentation, which is the primary reason for why it is advisable to dry hop after primary fermentation has completed.

Such a shame to lose all that lovely hop goodness.

Just add more hops :beerbang:

I've noticed a similar thing. Im thinking of doing my next brew and dry hopping into the keg.
Never done it b4 but if i use a hop ball & pellets, hopefully that will bring the brews back up to where i think they should be

I did my first dry hops ever last brew. And can say it's going to be an every time event or me. I added the hops after visible fermentation through the airlock had stopped. Left it for a few days extra. Had a sip of the sg sample and yum. Quite a difference.

NewtonClown mentioned the aroma blowing off with the CO2, which is definitely a major factor, but it's also worth noting that the yeast can actually take out some of the hop oils when they flocculate. This seems to happen more with some strains and less with others. The oil tends to coat the yeast cells. Incidentally, this is why some people prefer not to repitch yeast from super hoppy beers - the coating of oil actually reduces the cells ability to take in nutrients and expel by-products, reducing viability.

I have found that Bry-97 seems to strip a lot out, shame because it clears up so well

[SIZE=medium]When I first commenced brewing I put the dry hops in with primary fermentation, that was a waste of 80 odd grams of hops![/SIZE]

Back