Fermentation Stopped @1.020

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witty

Reaction score
Hi peeps,
Quick question. I have a brewcraft Beezzz knees k&k, with an added 400gms honey and 500gms brew enhancer... It went in at 1.066 fermented for 4days at approx 23deg c then stopped... Fg is 1.020. My calcs it will still be about 6%abv. Too dense and yeast flogged out? Sanitation is fine.
Any suggestions? Cause I was expecting a lower fg.. Still seems to taste ok Pre isinglass. Going to force carb.
Cheers guys..

Hi peeps,
Quick question. I have a brewcraft Beezzz knees k&k, with an added 400gms honey and 500gms brew enhancer... It went in at 1.066 fermented for 4days at approx 23deg c then stopped... Fg is 1.020. My calcs it will still be about 6%abv. Too dense and yeast flogged out? Sanitation is fine.
Any suggestions? Cause I was expecting a lower fg.. Still seems to taste ok Pre isinglass. Going to force carb.
Cheers guys..

which yeast?

I'd say given your fermentables and assuming your using a kit yeast that your yeast may be done, your at 70% attenuation and

its not unreasonable to expect that you want get any better than that.

Give it a swirl and leave another couple of days see if you can get anymore out of it.
But as TB says, what yeast, what temp, pitch rate?

US 05 normally doesn't crap out quite so easily, 1066 isn't too strong for it to drop that brew as low as it can go - all done in 4 days I can believe at 23-24C (stop that by the way.... far too hot) - so i expect that its finished and the stuff you added just wasn't all that fermentable.

Keep it at your fermentation temperatures and give the fermenter a good swirl up a couple of times a day for another week or so. It might well drop a few more points, or not.

Can i ask when did you pitch the honey?

There is a lot of fermentables in honey.

I have found it best to pitch as the krausen starts to settle, to keep the flavour in the beer and stop it fermenting all the taste out.

You may find it is not stuck, just still chewing through the honey

Mmm thanks guys for the info. I still didn't get any change. Certainly givin be a bit to think about. I keg it last night and it still tasted good from fermenter and still made me cough when inhaled the fumes. Will certainly do another one and use your suggestions. T

Thanks again guys.

Which specific brew enhancer did you use? If it's full of maltodextrin that will give you a higher FG won't it?

Back