Fermentation question rapid initial fermentation finished at day 4 and FG always higher than expectd

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonR

Reaction score
Hi All
Fermentation and FG question
I always seem get a very rapid initial fermentation that seems finished around 4 days SG checked by hydrometer and refractometer for stability over 48-60 hrs (after fermentation seems to have stopped) and FG is always much higher than expected
I've left the fermentation for another week to check that it's finished and the SG has not changed
e.g. recent British bitter fresh wort 1042 IG and 1020 FG stable over 3 days post fermentation 7 days and recent MG's Berliner sour kit 1045 IG and 1028 FG and before that MG's Lemon Sour same problem
Over the last 3-4 brews this has been the case fast fermentation and high FG
I'm in Perth temp is high avg fermenter temp is higher than I would like 23-25 degrees
I realise that this is too warm but will these temps rush the fermentation and stress the yeasts to not complete the fermentation
All the brews have tasted OK but lacking in alcohol always mid 2%
Planning a fermentation fridge soon $$
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Jon

Hi All
SG checked by hydrometer and refractometer for stability over 48-60 hrs (after fermentation seems to have stopped) and FG is always much higher than expected

Just clarifying - are you checking your FG with the refractometer or hydrometer? If the refractometer, you will need to correct the reading for the presence of alcohol. I only ever use my refractometer for preboil and postboil gravity/OG. I double check my actual OG with the hydrometer (there is always some variation, even with doing the reference measurement/calibration thing to compare them), and only ever use my hydrometer for FG

Just clarifying - are you checking your FG with the refractometer or hydrometer? If the refractometer, you will need to correct the reading for the presence of alcohol. I only ever use my refractometer for preboil and postboil gravity/OG. I double check my actual OG with the hydrometer (there is always some variation, even with doing the reference measurement/calibration thing to compare them), and only ever use my hydrometer for FG

Hi Bougie!st
I've been using the refractometer for all FG and SG readings since I received it a couple of weeks ago..... As you can gather I'm new to this
Just checked a brew I have on the go, refractometer 1020 hydrometer 1012 big difference
Thank you for alerting me to my newbie error I naively thought that the refractometer would be a quick and easy way to check all SG readings
I best read up on how to use it
All the best
Jon

Back