Fermentation Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facter

Reaction score
Okay, im having a problem with a brew I did... I put it down ten days ago, and the things now stuck.

It was an IPA, with a gravity around 1056 or so. I used an American Ale 2 yeats from wyeast ...it w3as plenty aerated, lots and lots of splashing ...however.

I didnt have time to make a starter. I also, stupid stupid, put the wyeast packet on a table when I smacked it, it was only after i had finished my mash that I realised that the sun had MOVED (damn you sun, damn you) and the pack was very very full and very, very very warm.

Panicing as I didnt ahve any tohe yeast, I used it anyways after i had chilled it back down to normal temperature....

Its ten days, and it has only dropped to 1040.

The beer smells VERY grassy..like rotten grass - but I presume thats becaus eI sued so much amarillo and cascade hops in it. It started off fermenting jsut fine ..except for that horrible grassy smell, and there was a rather good krausen on it ... thats now disappeared and dropepd back into the brew, and it has stopped dropping gravity for about three or four days, and theres no activity at all.

I also put it out to warm up a few temperateure points ...gave it a bit of a gentle move around on the bottom lip around to rouse the yeast but no go ...

Should I jsut leave it? Its been ten days now ... I now have another starter for a beer that I did last weekend, a 1028 london ale that I can re-pitch ... I dont want to lose my first brew, and Ive made many before ....

suggestions?

Try adding some more yeast as well (US56 dry is virtually the same).. other than that, the grassy stuff will dissipate once CO2 gets produced by the fermentation

Your pitch wasn't up to the conditions you set them. Whether its because you didn't pitch enough viable cells, or you put them to sleep with low temps, or killed them with big temp fluctuations. Either way, re-pitching is really your only option now. I wouldn't be too worried about judgeing the hop characteristics at this stage.

Back