Fermentation over in 5 days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifidude

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a fairly new brewer - just kicked off my 3rd brew last Saturday. It's a pale ale using US-05 yeast. The OG was around 1040. I took a gravity reading last night after 5 days and it's down to 1007. I'll check it again tonight. If the reading is stable, is it too soon to bottle after one week? Should I be leaving it another week to condition in the fermenter?

I would leave it for a few extra days at least.. I'd also rinse that yeast and keep it going, often firs time use of US-05 is a bit slower than that..

Read the thread on diacetyl with US05. Does yours have a buttery or butterscotch taste?

If so you might want to increase the fermentation temp up a couple of degress first for 5 days or so. Thats what I do, then cold crash it at 2C for a few days to let the yeast drop out.

Ive got a Fat Yak clone done with US05 in the Fv ATM. It reached terminal gravity in 3 days but Ive still got it in the ferm fridge now cold crashed at 2C and its 2 weeks later.

Dont be in a hurry to bottle. good things come to those who wait. Including better tasting beer.

Thanks Yob. Was planning on rinsing the yeast this time around. I've read Palmers method for this. Any tips on this?
Truman - didn't notice any butterscotch just lots of fruit from the Galaxy and Amarillo hops. It's been hovering between 20 and 22 where I've got the fermenter. Unfortunately I don't have a means to crash chill. Is there any other way of doing that without a brew fridge?

sifidude said:
Thanks Yob. Was planning on rinsing the yeast this time around. I've read Palmers method for this. Any tips on this?
Truman - didn't notice any butterscotch just lots of fruit from the Galaxy and Amarillo hops. It's been hovering between 20 and 22 where I've got the fermenter. Unfortunately I don't have a means to crash chill. Is there any other way of doing that without a brew fridge?
Just wait until the yeast is done and settles itself out.
Will likely take longer, but this is not a worry. Leave it in the fermenter until 12 or so days.

Then bottle it (without shaking up fermenter!).

Perhaps worth moving the fermenter to a height you can bottle from now, then let it condition out over the next week or so. This way less moving of fermenter and less likely to stir the yeast back into suspension while getting sorted for bottling.

Then get on gumtree and find a brew fridge for next batch........

Cheers,
D80

sifidude said:
Any tips on this?
Wolfy's stellar thread on Rinsing Yeast is the one that got me into it and is well worth the flick through, worth reading the whole thread though (at least skimming) as many of the issues you will face have got their answers.

Even if you save 2 or 3 jars, mess about with the first one just with tap water and see how the separation happens and get a feel for it. then concentrate on collecting from the other 2.

Big jars mate, the bigger the better.

Latest posts

Back