Fermentation Modifier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really understand why anybody would want to add it - sure it means that the beer will have a lower carbo content, good if you're on a diet or the like but otherwise I can't see the use.

My understanding is that apart from additional energy released as heat due to fermentation, make beer drier is just converting sugar to alcohol (and CO2).

I am no chemist but I would guess that in terms of your body's ability to convert the beer to blood sugar there would be very little difference.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable re biochemistry could comment on this.

This is interesting, the only differences I can see is that you used torrefied wheat, which is something I have never used before,I always use flaked wheat. Was it crushed and was the crush fine enough. What was your mash temp?

Also I haven't used wyeast yeast before, but I can't see how that should make a difference as the attenuation of that strain is pretty good at 72-76%

You can get some idea of my crush here. I had to use a bit of 4x2.

I missed the boat for ordering flaked wheat at the health food store.

I crushed my wheat in the barley crusher, and it was smashed up good. I mashed at about 65deg (and had the 50deg protein rest)
1.5-2Lt starter, i tipped the liquid off and then fired the slurry up in the bottle while waiting for the mash to finish, the yeast had expanded the PET bottle while waiting so it was active

hmmm ponders dam wit
tastes ok because i had 7pots i think last night :)

Sosman,

I looked at your link, really interesting and well written.

I think the problems might be from 3 areas that I can see.

1. mash temp was definately too high, the recipe calls for a mash temp of 65c with yours at 68c it was producing a lot of unfermentable dextrins. At that temp I would expect your final gravity after fermentation to be up in the 1.016 to 1.018 range

2. I think that perhaps the old 4x2 just was'nt quite up to standard and there was alot of coarse grain that would not have converted properly as well.

3. I usually mash in at a ratio of 3:1, 3lt water for each kilo of grain, However with this recipe I take that up to around 3.5lt per kilo of grain. The thinner mash also allows for better conversion of fermentable sugars giving you a lower final gravity after fermentation.

The first and the last items taken together would certainly have contributed to the high terminal gravity.

Ben not sure if this was the same for you but hope this helps.

P.S don't give up on the Wit its a great brew

Well there is some good news. It hasn't got any dryer (keeping in mind that I crash cooled it when I realised how much influence the enzyme addition made).

I kegged it today and tasted a sample at around 10 (before forced carbonation) and although on the dry end, I'm thinking it will be quite ok.

i followed your above recipe volumes and temp.. so i am not sure why i have ran into the 1020 FG stop, but that said heheh the kegs half empty so it must taste real bad

Jovial_Monk said:
"I really hate that enzyme and would never put ti in my beer. However, S Nichols of Mash Paddle Comp fame is a diabetic and has to use it. He has to brew it to mximise flavor, while also ensuring the beer will be dry. He then adds the enzyme towards the end. I have tasted some of his beers and they were OK, and he won State Champion at last years State comp."

And Tom spoke thus .....

Let's examine the quote from the JM.

...... "However, S Nichols of Mash Paddle Comp fame is a diabetic and has to use it."

Now Tom has the bull by the horns but he needs to check which end of the animal he is standing.

No Tom I have used it, but only twice. I am a diabetic but control my drinking so as to minimise the damage caused to my body. The greatest tool in the diabetic arsenal is the blood glucose meter .... and restraint. Restraint is a useful tool for every drinker.

"He has to brew it to mximise flavor, while also ensuring the beer will be dry. He then adds the enzyme towards the end. "

Incorrect Tom I don't have to use the enzyme to "mximise flavor", In fact the enzyme will reduce malt flavour because the yeast will be able to ferment down to 1.001 or below.

"while also ensuring the beer will be dry"

Yes the beer with the enzyme you mention does turn out dry.

"He then adds the enzyme towards the end. "

Incorrect again Tom .... the enzyme is added at the start of the fermentation.

"I have tasted some of his beers and they were OK,"

Neither of the beers you tasted used the "enzyme"

"and he won State Champion at last years State comp."

All four beers I entered in the state comp [2 first and 2 second] were brewed all grain, without any "tricks or additives" of any kind. The tone of your post could imply I somehow didn't play fair.

I normally don't comment on lists but when anyone quotes my name and misrepresents the facts I feel it requires a measured response.

This is an excellent forum. I look forward to contributing the little I have learned over the last 30+ years of a very rewarding hobby and I will now post more often. We all have a mission in life. Mine will be to follow the posts of the JM to verify truth as opposed to posturing.

Steve Nicholls

chiller said:
We all have a mission in life. Mine will be to follow the posts of the JM to verify truth as opposed to posturing.

Steve Nicholls
A touch melodramatic, no?

Love it.
When i read what tom wrote i had a laugh as i know it is not true at all.
Anyway if thats what it took to get chiller over on here well iam happy.
Good to see you on AHB.

Jayse

What I said is what I remembered Steve telling me. no attempt to misrepresent him, but that was all some time ago.

Steve, you are shitty with me because I expressed some reservations re the Mash Paddle. The fact I mentioned you were state champion last year should show I was not trying to denigrate your brewing prowess.

If I got some facts wrong or misremembered them I apologise. I was merely trying to show that diabetics might need to use the enzyme. If possible, why not rock up to the Monk noon Saturday and we will have a toast in Rochefort 10 to the HB community/hobby and to each other.

Jovial Monk

Just a quick follow up to the JM's post.

"Steve, you are shitty with me because I expressed some reservations re the Mash Paddle."

Tom if I was "shitty" with you we wouldn't be chatting on this or any other medium. And as for the Mash Paddle it is already a success just in the interest in all grain brewing it has generated. Someone once said opinions are like noses [or whatever body part] and everyone has one.

I accept your apology and do understand your attempt to discus the wider implications of beer on health.

Thanks for the invitation [and the beer] however I had been asked about 6 weeks ago to take part in a brew day at Goliath in Adelaide. I do however wish you a great day on Saturday. We may all cross paths at the international beer festival on Sunday.

Steve Nicholls

Well done guys. Nice to see things handles in a grownup fashion. Let's all make sure we keep this forum the friendly helpful site it is. B)

I took a sample the wit along to my "local" brewclub meeting last night and the experienced brewers there were quite complimentary. Not perfect by any means, the most specific comment was "not enough wheat"

After some dramas along the way (and with some help/reassurance from you guys) my first AG has turned into a brew I am pleased to drink myself and share with my mates.

Its off to buy a burner so I can boil the next one.

Ummm the first ever wit I brewed I too called "Half Wit"

Working back from the gravity I estimated I got 2 OG points from the wheat!

The second wit that I brewed late last year was a success. I used spelt wheat, put that on the bottom of the mash tun, ran in the mash liquor through the outlet of the tun (underletting) so the wheat got nice and hot and gelatinised. Got a nice tangy wit that I boiled with one dried lemon.

After running out the wit I added a heap of choc malt and roast barley to the tun and ran out a second beer, a stout with a nice tangyness! Interesting though not great.

Jovial Monk

Back